This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Help inform our next campaign

Hi everyone!

Hope you're safe and well.

We champion equality, diversity and inclusion here at the IET - and frequently run campaigns to challenge outdated stereotypes and make our profession a more welcoming and inclusive place.

We're starting work on our next campaign - and we need your help!

Our focus for this phase is on how we can take real, tangible steps to unite our community to make engineering and technology a career path that is accessible to everyone.

So, what’s your experience? Tell us by adding your thoughts below.

We want to hear from everyone, and we mean everyone. We believe that continuing to thrive in this sector can only happen if we all connect and work together, and that means we need all viewpoints – positive, negative, and even the grey area in between!

So whether you have had good or bad experiences, whatever your background, and whether you identify with different protected characteristics or not – we want to hear from you.

And if you’re comfortable sharing your thoughts in a little more detail, we’re looking for a broad mix of individuals to be interviewed in the next few weeks. You can submit your details for consideration via this link.

And if you would prefer to remain anonymous but still have a viewpoint you’d like to share – no problem! You can send us your thoughts using this form instead.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Making engineering interesting!

We need to stand back from the idea the Chartered Status and a4 year M.Eng degree are the way ahead - this must put a lot of younger people off engineering as a career.

There are all of the intermediate levels EngTech / I.Eng and the fact you can be successful with out being registered in many companies IF you have the right training.

Hopefully sometime in future - the benefits of professional registration will become apparent

It always seem that the way to be an engineer is office based / design etc. it needs to be shown that engineering is a very broad area with many branches - schools need support to show ALL the variations and hopefully spark the interest at a very young age.

Also there is a need to look at how apprenticeships are built and delivered (Personally I had a 5 year apprenticeship with British Steel - luckily completed in just over 4 years due to rule changes + 3 year full time HND fast tracked into 2 very heavy years because of my apprenticeship)

We covered the range of areas - Labs, design, R&D, workshops, plants and shutdowns - which allowed us to make informed choices of areas of personal interest when making our career choice.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Making engineering interesting!

We need to stand back from the idea the Chartered Status and a4 year M.Eng degree are the way ahead - this must put a lot of younger people off engineering as a career.

There are all of the intermediate levels EngTech / I.Eng and the fact you can be successful with out being registered in many companies IF you have the right training.

Hopefully sometime in future - the benefits of professional registration will become apparent

It always seem that the way to be an engineer is office based / design etc. it needs to be shown that engineering is a very broad area with many branches - schools need support to show ALL the variations and hopefully spark the interest at a very young age.

Also there is a need to look at how apprenticeships are built and delivered (Personally I had a 5 year apprenticeship with British Steel - luckily completed in just over 4 years due to rule changes + 3 year full time HND fast tracked into 2 very heavy years because of my apprenticeship)

We covered the range of areas - Labs, design, R&D, workshops, plants and shutdowns - which allowed us to make informed choices of areas of personal interest when making our career choice.

Children
No Data