This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Maintaining professional registration without the IET

Anybody know how I can maintain professional registration with the Engineering Council if I decide to leave the IET?

Parents
  • I like your riposte Simon. 

However, I’m not sure there is any proper definition of the term, which seems to be bandied about as an “insult” towards those who are perceived to be “socially liberal”. I would welcome Rob explaining why he thinks that the IET is “woke” and why that discomforts him to the extent that he wishes to resign his membership. He has every right to express an opinion on the issue and be heard respectfully. 

In my experience of them (50+ years) those organisations affiliated to Engineering Council have a well-deserved historic reputation for being “socially conservative” and very much part of “the establishment”. Consisting of mainly white males, who gained “social capital” or advantage through upbringing, or a university education when that opportunity was much rarer than in more recent years.  However, this simply reflected a self-defined “elite” fraction of those engaged in “skilled” engineering, which consisted of very few women. I’m less sure about ethnicity, does anyone have valid data?  

I support The IET’s efforts to “modernise” and encourage equal participation in engineering and technology, by all those who have the motivation and aptitude. It is our collective mission to encourage excellence and personal development in engineers and technicians throughout their careers. ie “professional home for life”.  

I am not myself that comfortable with an excess of “political correctness” and the rights of older “socially conservative” engineers, to pursue collaboration in a way that they enjoy, are equally valid to those of other groups. A very large international organisation like the IET, will inevitably be diverse, with many different perspectives, which deserve respect.     

If someone is an overt racist or sexist for example, then they have a right to make a fool of themselves and to gain the opprobrium that they deserve. I hope that Rob has just been discomforted by something like perhaps a “populist” newspaper column?      

• I like your riposte Simon. 

However, I’m not sure there is any proper definition of the term, which seems to be bandied about as an “insult” towards those who are perceived to be “socially liberal”. I would welcome Rob explaining why he thinks that the IET is “woke” and why that discomforts him to the extent that he wishes to resign his membership. He has every right to express an opinion on the issue and be heard respectfully. 

In my experience of them (50+ years) those organisations affiliated to Engineering Council have a well-deserved historic reputation for being “socially conservative” and very much part of “the establishment”. Consisting of mainly white males, who gained “social capital” or advantage through upbringing, or a university education when that opportunity was much rarer than in more recent years.  However, this simply reflected a self-defined “elite” fraction of those engaged in “skilled” engineering, which consisted of very few women. I’m less sure about ethnicity, does anyone have valid data?  

I support The IET’s efforts to “modernise” and encourage equal participation in engineering and technology, by all those who have the motivation and aptitude. It is our collective mission to encourage excellence and personal development in engineers and technicians throughout their careers. ie “professional home for life”.  

I am not myself that comfortable with an excess of “political correctness” and the rights of older “socially conservative” engineers, to pursue collaboration in a way that they enjoy, are equally valid to those of other groups. A very large international organisation like the IET, will inevitably be diverse, with many different perspectives, which deserve respect.     

If someone is an overt racist or sexist for example, then they have a right to make a fool of themselves and to gain the opprobrium that they deserve. I hope that Rob has just been discomforted by something like perhaps a “populist” newspaper column?      

Children
No Data