This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Maintaining professional registration without the IET

Anybody know how I can maintain professional registration with the Engineering Council if I decide to leave the IET?

Parents
  • Roy Bowdler: 

However, this simply reflected a self-defined “elite” fraction of those engaged in “skilled” engineering, which consisted of very few women. I’m less sure about ethnicity, does anyone have valid data?       

Hi Roy, 

If (and apologies if I've misread this) you're meaning that the “skilled” engineering consisted of very few women I would put a major caveat on that. In skilled electronics assembly, and precision mechanical assembly, I have seen a largely female workforce in every company I've worked in since the late 1970s (which have covered quite a range of different manufacturing industries). What was always interesting was the assumption that any men who joined those roles “should” quickly move on to e.g. test and potentially higher technical roles. Which does take us back to your point which I totally agree with.

Sorry, taking the thread off topic again…but on the other hand the OP's question has been answered.

Thanks,

Andy

• Roy Bowdler: 

However, this simply reflected a self-defined “elite” fraction of those engaged in “skilled” engineering, which consisted of very few women. I’m less sure about ethnicity, does anyone have valid data?       

Hi Roy, 

If (and apologies if I've misread this) you're meaning that the “skilled” engineering consisted of very few women I would put a major caveat on that. In skilled electronics assembly, and precision mechanical assembly, I have seen a largely female workforce in every company I've worked in since the late 1970s (which have covered quite a range of different manufacturing industries). What was always interesting was the assumption that any men who joined those roles “should” quickly move on to e.g. test and potentially higher technical roles. Which does take us back to your point which I totally agree with.

Sorry, taking the thread off topic again…but on the other hand the OP's question has been answered.

Thanks,

Andy

Children
No Data