This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

NVQ L3/4 - is it worth it?

So, I am 22 now and I have just changed industry following a sponsored degree. 

I was doing my sponsored degree working in a wire harness manufacturing setting. My role included new product introduction, creating instructions, process improvement, and so on.

My new role is as a technical support engineer for a UPS company. I have managed to get settled in fairly quickly. Whilst I am probably some way off being fully knowledgeable in the role, I am able to get by day-to-day pretty much on my own. Of course, some of the niche problems or queries I have to ask about (especially where there is no literature) - but I like to think I am getting there! 

I completed my sponsored degree, but I was hoping to get a full apprenticeship. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, I did not get the opportunity to complete a statutory apprenticeship. I did not enrol onto the competency qualification (NVQ/C&G/etc.) Now I have a BEng (Hons), but I feel I have missed out on the apprenticeship certificate and competency qualification.

My questions are: 

• Is it worth now looking at doing a work-based competency qualification? Is getting that NVQ going to help me improve as an engineer or help my career in future? 
  • Would I be better off at level 3, or just skipping to level 4? I completed a level 2 (including PEO) about 4 years ago
  • How much time off work does it require? Is it possible to complete just writing up assessment questions in the evenings/during breaks?
  • Finally, is my role suitable for an NVQ?
    • My main role is providing telephone support to field engineers and users. I read logs, wiring diagrams, manuals, and then interpret them to deduce the cause of faults and advise on actions to repair
    • I also provide support for network monitoring software and the associated hardware including for MODBUS and SNMP networking (setup, helping with faults, etc.) I am by no means an expert in this field
    • I create manuals/guides for our products to assist engineers and end users

Many thanks in advance!

Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Hi Ethan,

So you are 22 years, you have completed a BEng (level 6), and you are now gaining on the job experience (and therefore developing new skills and competences), which is great. Why bother with a NVQ at this point - as you are a qualified (and now practicing) engineer.

If you (really) wish to pursue additional qualifications, I would suggest that your time and money could be better spent on doing a MEng or MSc (Eng) (level 7) (and make your research/project about something you care about - such as what you are doing now, maybe). Assuming that you completed your BEng in the UK, you may qualify for funding towards a second undergraduate degree (MEng). You could transfer/migrate credits from your degree to the MEng, which would mean an extra year of study. I believe there is fundung available for postgraduate level too (MSc), either of which you could complete on a part time basis (and online even). These qualifications could prove more useful should you wish to pursue a professional qualification (such as chartered engineer).

Best regards,

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Hi Ethan,

So you are 22 years, you have completed a BEng (level 6), and you are now gaining on the job experience (and therefore developing new skills and competences), which is great. Why bother with a NVQ at this point - as you are a qualified (and now practicing) engineer.

If you (really) wish to pursue additional qualifications, I would suggest that your time and money could be better spent on doing a MEng or MSc (Eng) (level 7) (and make your research/project about something you care about - such as what you are doing now, maybe). Assuming that you completed your BEng in the UK, you may qualify for funding towards a second undergraduate degree (MEng). You could transfer/migrate credits from your degree to the MEng, which would mean an extra year of study. I believe there is fundung available for postgraduate level too (MSc), either of which you could complete on a part time basis (and online even). These qualifications could prove more useful should you wish to pursue a professional qualification (such as chartered engineer).

Best regards,

Children
No Data