This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Interested in Electrical Design Engineer, looking for advice?

Hi all, 

As the title suggests I'm looking to move forward with my current skills and move into an office based CAD role, if possible, but I'm not sure the best route to take and I'm wondering if people would mind sharing their thoughts. 

I currently have the following qualifications and experience:

• City and Guilds 2330 level 1 through to 3.
  • City and Guilds 2392
  • C&G 18th addition
  • Part P
  • TMIET
  • EngTech
  • Set up my own company in March '21, based around inspection and testing. 
  • Been a qualified supervisor (QS) with NICEIC for 5+ yrs. 

I used to be in IT and must admit I miss the techy side of the office work. 

Any advice on what people think my next steps should be would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Daniel

Parents
  • Also since you mention CAD I would try to find a couple of free CAD packages (or trial packages) and get used to using them. When we used to interview CAD engineers we learned (the hard way!) to include in the interview a practical test where we would sit them in front of a package to check they could actually attempt to use it, even if it was one they were unfamiliar with. This is why it's good to try using more than one, you'll realise which parts are almost the same and which are different. Some companies specify “must have experience of xxx CAD system”, better employers (or those that simply have more time to allow a bit of training) will appreciate that if you can use one system you can adapt to another. What employers will want to see is that you'll have enough confidence and knowledge to give a new package a go, and ask sensible questions on the bits you can't see how to use.

I'll admit to being a few years out of date of which packages are around now, and which have free or free trial versions available, hopefully others here can advise.

Good luck!

Andy

• Also since you mention CAD I would try to find a couple of free CAD packages (or trial packages) and get used to using them. When we used to interview CAD engineers we learned (the hard way!) to include in the interview a practical test where we would sit them in front of a package to check they could actually attempt to use it, even if it was one they were unfamiliar with. This is why it's good to try using more than one, you'll realise which parts are almost the same and which are different. Some companies specify “must have experience of xxx CAD system”, better employers (or those that simply have more time to allow a bit of training) will appreciate that if you can use one system you can adapt to another. What employers will want to see is that you'll have enough confidence and knowledge to give a new package a go, and ask sensible questions on the bits you can't see how to use.

I'll admit to being a few years out of date of which packages are around now, and which have free or free trial versions available, hopefully others here can advise.

Good luck!

Andy

Children
No Data