This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

The True Impact of EVs

An interesting piece from The Engineer comparing the whole life energy costs of a Polestar and the equivalent petrol Volvo. There are obviously a number of assumptions that can be challenged but it tends to support my current view that replacing my 13 year old diesel with  an EV does not yet make sense.

af277fe531c071722ed8f3dd3cf3317c-huge-ev-versa-ice.jpg

The comments also raise some interesting points.

Parents
  • Thanks for the talk, that was excellent.

In my view a couple of areas missed:

If most drives are less than 5km (i.e. 3m) then people should walk or cycle unless time obviates it.

SUVs cause problems in car parks which results in additional CO2 emissions from other cars.

A hybrid  car also charges the battery when coasting downhill or braking. Any CO2 involved in the charging of the battery is recovered (abit) when the battery is used.

• Thanks for the talk, that was excellent.

In my view a couple of areas missed:

If most drives are less than 5km (i.e. 3m) then people should walk or cycle unless time obviates it.

SUVs cause problems in car parks which results in additional CO2 emissions from other cars.

A hybrid  car also charges the battery when coasting downhill or braking. Any CO2 involved in the charging of the battery is recovered (abit) when the battery is used.

Children
No Data