This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

The True Impact of EVs

An interesting piece from The Engineer comparing the whole life energy costs of a Polestar and the equivalent petrol Volvo. There are obviously a number of assumptions that can be challenged but it tends to support my current view that replacing my 13 year old diesel with  an EV does not yet make sense.

af277fe531c071722ed8f3dd3cf3317c-huge-ev-versa-ice.jpg

The comments also raise some interesting points.

Parents
  • Is anyone with knowledge talking to the government about this?

• The presentation was excellent in showing that grid electric generation is not necessarily CO2 free.  But if you charge up the battery of a small EV using solar energy that would be ideal for retired people who only shop once a week and go out occasionally. 

The battery size of 10 to 15 kWh is ideal for small city runabouts but large SUV;s or Chelsea tanks with a ton of batteries are totally out and terribly environmentally unfriendly in my view.  Even my old Polo with 895cc engine emits much less CO2 than most of these modern hybrids average out at. 

• The presentation was excellent in showing that grid electric generation is not necessarily CO2 free.  But if you charge up the battery of a small EV using solar energy that would be ideal for retired people who only shop once a week and go out occasionally. 

The battery size of 10 to 15 kWh is ideal for small city runabouts but large SUV;s or Chelsea tanks with a ton of batteries are totally out and terribly environmentally unfriendly in my view.  Even my old Polo with 895cc engine emits much less CO2 than most of these modern hybrids average out at. 

Children
No Data