This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Have a question you need answered? Ask the community!

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
There are plenty of like-minded individuals within the IET Women's Network that may be able to help you with a query so, feel free to add to this thread.
Parents
  • And one more thing... Always be as nice and as helpful as you can to everyone. The kid in your class that you think is slow, might end up with a job before you. If the hiring manager says to that person "You studied with XXX, what were they like?", think about the answer you would want them to give:

"XXX helped me to understand my assignment when I was struggling" or "XXX used to call me stupid for not understanding my assignment straight away".

And don't stop being helpful and kind once you start getting ahead. A friend of mine went to work at a new company. Shortly afterwards, her former line-manager was made redundant from his previous role and applied for a job at the same company that my friend now worked for. The person hiring saw that they worked together previously and asked my friend what sort of a manager he was and what he had been like to work with. I won't say whether or not that person was shortlisted for an interview, but I will say that my friend's comments did influence the hiring manager's decision.
  • And one more thing... Always be as nice and as helpful as you can to everyone. The kid in your class that you think is slow, might end up with a job before you. If the hiring manager says to that person "You studied with XXX, what were they like?", think about the answer you would want them to give:

"XXX helped me to understand my assignment when I was struggling" or "XXX used to call me stupid for not understanding my assignment straight away".

And don't stop being helpful and kind once you start getting ahead. A friend of mine went to work at a new company. Shortly afterwards, her former line-manager was made redundant from his previous role and applied for a job at the same company that my friend now worked for. The person hiring saw that they worked together previously and asked my friend what sort of a manager he was and what he had been like to work with. I won't say whether or not that person was shortlisted for an interview, but I will say that my friend's comments did influence the hiring manager's decision.
Children
No Data