This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Turning Engineers Into Rock Stars!

Naomi Climer, president of the IET, outlines her campaign called - Engineer a better World - to make us realise that engineering is an exciting and creative activity, as part of her interview by Jim Al-Khalili on Radio 4's The Life Scientific.

Can she find a 'rock star' of engineering, a new Watt, Stephenson or Brunel, or are we all ensemble players in a huge engineering orchestra? Does it matter that there are no 'stars'? Does stardom come as a result of large incomes? Good Engineering is invisible, (it just works!); is it inevitable that good engineers are invisible too?

Parents
  • I think it's important that Engineering as a profession has its role models and I'd also love to see more Engineers highlighted in the media too for the work they do and the impact they have on everyone's lives. smiley

It dissappoints me so much when I hear or read of young people who consider minor 'celebrities' (those how are considered famous for just being famous a la 'The only way is Essex) as their role models. sad

I'm honoured to be working with such amazing Engineers in my role at the IET and have come into contact with some truly inspirational people during my time here. 

So I for one, am completely behind Naomi on this one... wink
  • I think it's important that Engineering as a profession has its role models and I'd also love to see more Engineers highlighted in the media too for the work they do and the impact they have on everyone's lives. smiley

It dissappoints me so much when I hear or read of young people who consider minor 'celebrities' (those how are considered famous for just being famous a la 'The only way is Essex) as their role models. sad

I'm honoured to be working with such amazing Engineers in my role at the IET and have come into contact with some truly inspirational people during my time here. 

So I for one, am completely behind Naomi on this one... wink
Children
No Data