This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Turning Engineers Into Rock Stars!

Naomi Climer, president of the IET, outlines her campaign called - Engineer a better World - to make us realise that engineering is an exciting and creative activity, as part of her interview by Jim Al-Khalili on Radio 4's The Life Scientific.

Can she find a 'rock star' of engineering, a new Watt, Stephenson or Brunel, or are we all ensemble players in a huge engineering orchestra? Does it matter that there are no 'stars'? Does stardom come as a result of large incomes? Good Engineering is invisible, (it just works!); is it inevitable that good engineers are invisible too?

Parents
  • I think it depends on your definition of a 'role model'. To me a role model is also someone who inspires me but not necessarily someone whose lifestyle I would choose to emulate. 

As Abel says, Engineering needs its heros and it's up to all of us to get out there and show people what Engineers do and why it's important. We shouldn't sit back and wait for someone else to do it for us. I for one will be doing something to help Naomi's cause and I urge all Engineers to do play their own part (even if it's just a small thing) too! 

Good things may come to those who wait, but the best things come to those who 'do'... wink

So if I come in to contact with any of you Engineers during my travels and at IET events and meetings ... don't forget, I have a video camera and I'm not afraid to use it! 

• I think it depends on your definition of a 'role model'. To me a role model is also someone who inspires me but not necessarily someone whose lifestyle I would choose to emulate. 

As Abel says, Engineering needs its heros and it's up to all of us to get out there and show people what Engineers do and why it's important. We shouldn't sit back and wait for someone else to do it for us. I for one will be doing something to help Naomi's cause and I urge all Engineers to do play their own part (even if it's just a small thing) too! 

Good things may come to those who wait, but the best things come to those who 'do'... wink

So if I come in to contact with any of you Engineers during my travels and at IET events and meetings ... don't forget, I have a video camera and I'm not afraid to use it! 

Children
No Data