This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CPD - Planned v Unplanned

Out of curiousity, how much of your CPD is planned, and how much of it is unplanned?

I'm going through my second attempt at gaining CEng, and have been paying particular attention to my CPD Records for the last couple of years, and putting a Plan in place for the next year(s)

However, as a fairly senior engineer, I find it increasingly difficult to put together any form of meaningful plan, and this is reflected in my CPD of the past. Most "development" is now either reactive to business needs, or responsive to invitations to speak at conferences (etc).

I'm finding it difficult to define a plan for my CPD beyond "Achieve CEng" and "Achieve FIET"

Discuss.....
Parents

• Mostly planned here.  I'm starting a PhD program and I'm involved in professional registration activities as an IPRA and in the US, working through IEEE and NCEES (roughly the Engineering Council equivalent here in the States).  I plan a little extra in the case that work goes crazy or personal issues keep me from doing activities, be it health or other things.  My biggest issue is quantifying all the activities I do.  When I was audited a few years ago, I put in the minimum amount I needed to do, not realizing that I would get suggestions on improving this.  I have to report activites not just to IET, but many additional state and provincial engineering boards.  Sounds like you are in a similar situation.

• Mostly planned here.  I'm starting a PhD program and I'm involved in professional registration activities as an IPRA and in the US, working through IEEE and NCEES (roughly the Engineering Council equivalent here in the States).  I plan a little extra in the case that work goes crazy or personal issues keep me from doing activities, be it health or other things.  My biggest issue is quantifying all the activities I do.  When I was audited a few years ago, I put in the minimum amount I needed to do, not realizing that I would get suggestions on improving this.  I have to report activites not just to IET, but many additional state and provincial engineering boards.  Sounds like you are in a similar situation.
Children
No Data