This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CPD - Planned v Unplanned

Out of curiousity, how much of your CPD is planned, and how much of it is unplanned?

I'm going through my second attempt at gaining CEng, and have been paying particular attention to my CPD Records for the last couple of years, and putting a Plan in place for the next year(s)

However, as a fairly senior engineer, I find it increasingly difficult to put together any form of meaningful plan, and this is reflected in my CPD of the past. Most "development" is now either reactive to business needs, or responsive to invitations to speak at conferences (etc).

I'm finding it difficult to define a plan for my CPD beyond "Achieve CEng" and "Achieve FIET"

Discuss.....
Parents
  • Thanks for the suggestions! I set a goal on my DAP to engage with one mentee by June. There is a clear lesson on the "R" of SMART objectives there! As Nouman pointed out, prospective mentors wait passively for a mentee to arrive through the Mentoring Department. I continue to do so.

In the past I made a deliberate effort within my company to promote registration with the IET, but it is an IMechE stronghold, my career has suffered from prejudice against the IET (some of it deserved!) and I can no longer sustain that battle. Engaging with intern students over the summer is proving to be a good fallback option.

Victoria's suggestion of talking to the local LN committee is great. I would recommend any IET member to consider getting involved with an LN or TPN. For me, it has made the membership investment valuable. There is just one caveat: career progression is about winning the trust and confidence of people who wield more power than you do. The CPD value of any activity is subjective, so think very carefully about how you present your CPD to people who hold power over you, whether that is your line manager or a professional registration panel. Back to E&T: I am (currently) fortunate that I can easily reach my 30 hours without resorting to this, and I didn't mean to be critical of people who rely on it. I may be in that situation too one day.
  • Thanks for the suggestions! I set a goal on my DAP to engage with one mentee by June. There is a clear lesson on the "R" of SMART objectives there! As Nouman pointed out, prospective mentors wait passively for a mentee to arrive through the Mentoring Department. I continue to do so.

In the past I made a deliberate effort within my company to promote registration with the IET, but it is an IMechE stronghold, my career has suffered from prejudice against the IET (some of it deserved!) and I can no longer sustain that battle. Engaging with intern students over the summer is proving to be a good fallback option.

Victoria's suggestion of talking to the local LN committee is great. I would recommend any IET member to consider getting involved with an LN or TPN. For me, it has made the membership investment valuable. There is just one caveat: career progression is about winning the trust and confidence of people who wield more power than you do. The CPD value of any activity is subjective, so think very carefully about how you present your CPD to people who hold power over you, whether that is your line manager or a professional registration panel. Back to E&T: I am (currently) fortunate that I can easily reach my 30 hours without resorting to this, and I didn't mean to be critical of people who rely on it. I may be in that situation too one day.
Children
No Data