This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How safe are Public Wifi Networks?

Hi all

I hope one of you can help me.

One of my Facebook contacts (an old classmate from school) has asked this question on his newsfeed. I vaguely remember a lecture being held at Savoy Place (pre-refurb times) in which a speaker gave a rather apt demonstration by, before the delegates arrived, setting up his own 'public' wifi hotspot. During the lecture he displayed on screen the contents of a private email and the browsing history of someone in the room who had connected to his hotspot. 

I can't remember who the speaker was but I do remember watching a video of it. I'd like to be able to forward a link to it to my friend.

Does anyone recall such an event? I think it was at the IET but I can't be 100% sure.

Thanks in anticip.......ation. wink

Lisa
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    The wifi pineapple is quite a good bit of kit, not any legitamate used apart from in authorised penetration testing and demo's.

www.youtube.com/.../IdhuX4BEK6s A video on how it works.

It is quite straight forward to spoof the wifi AP and listen for requests for "Saved" networks on devices and automatically spoof these networks for devices to reconnect.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    The wifi pineapple is quite a good bit of kit, not any legitamate used apart from in authorised penetration testing and demo's.

www.youtube.com/.../IdhuX4BEK6s A video on how it works.

It is quite straight forward to spoof the wifi AP and listen for requests for "Saved" networks on devices and automatically spoof these networks for devices to reconnect.
Children
No Data