This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

This Systems Engineering Community

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Hi everyone

Are you a bit frustrated that in a society as large as the IET, and for a topic as vital as systems engineering, this community is effectively dead? It has over 500 members but nobody raising topics for discussion - challenges, queries, successes, seeking advice etc. As an experienced systems engineer, an IET Fellow, a BAE Systems Engineering Fellow and Immediate Past-President of INCOSE I really want to help generate some interaction here for the good of everyone, 

Is there anyone else listening who would like to work with me to help make something happen?

Alan Harding CEng FIET MINCOSE
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Thanks for sharing Joseph. I was wondering why INCOSE seemed to have no evangelists to promote systems engineering in the wider world. Perhaps the members are too insular?

For me, the outreach never seems to be quite there; may be that's unfair comment as I am out in Canada and the knowledge of this subject matter doesn't seem to have been adopted by the large projects.  But you raise some good points as to why they may be struggling.

If there truly is an incapability of INCOSE to move with the times, surely as members of the IET we have a better capability of promoting this in all our projects.

Current issues that I perceive:

1) Systems Engineering- Little to no knowledge of this in Civil world, therefore application in large projects can be minimal. (see 8) )

2) Predominantly seen as something which spans the hardware/software domains only.

3) Misunderstanding of how this successfully used in an Multi-discipline large capital project.

4) Implemented too late.

5) Stats on its use and project success are not easy to find.

6) Lack of understanding of project life cycle.

7) Unwillingness to adopt this technique - Needs constant education.

8) Civil project design methodology different to the processes of other disciplines.

9) Project managers unaware of benefits and the de-risking of projects using this technique.

10) Clients need to be better informed of this.

Rather than discuss the woes of INCOSE, perhaps its better to raise the profile of Systems Engineering within the IET:  To be frank , I thought many of the IET.TV seminars reference this discipline but perhaps its not brought together in a more cohesive manner. So kudos to Alan for stoking the fire ;-)   

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Thanks for sharing Joseph. I was wondering why INCOSE seemed to have no evangelists to promote systems engineering in the wider world. Perhaps the members are too insular?

For me, the outreach never seems to be quite there; may be that's unfair comment as I am out in Canada and the knowledge of this subject matter doesn't seem to have been adopted by the large projects.  But you raise some good points as to why they may be struggling.

If there truly is an incapability of INCOSE to move with the times, surely as members of the IET we have a better capability of promoting this in all our projects.

Current issues that I perceive:

1) Systems Engineering- Little to no knowledge of this in Civil world, therefore application in large projects can be minimal. (see 8) )

2) Predominantly seen as something which spans the hardware/software domains only.

3) Misunderstanding of how this successfully used in an Multi-discipline large capital project.

4) Implemented too late.

5) Stats on its use and project success are not easy to find.

6) Lack of understanding of project life cycle.

7) Unwillingness to adopt this technique - Needs constant education.

8) Civil project design methodology different to the processes of other disciplines.

9) Project managers unaware of benefits and the de-risking of projects using this technique.

10) Clients need to be better informed of this.

Rather than discuss the woes of INCOSE, perhaps its better to raise the profile of Systems Engineering within the IET:  To be frank , I thought many of the IET.TV seminars reference this discipline but perhaps its not brought together in a more cohesive manner. So kudos to Alan for stoking the fire ;-)   

Children
No Data