This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

This Systems Engineering Community

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Hi everyone

Are you a bit frustrated that in a society as large as the IET, and for a topic as vital as systems engineering, this community is effectively dead? It has over 500 members but nobody raising topics for discussion - challenges, queries, successes, seeking advice etc. As an experienced systems engineer, an IET Fellow, a BAE Systems Engineering Fellow and Immediate Past-President of INCOSE I really want to help generate some interaction here for the good of everyone, 

Is there anyone else listening who would like to work with me to help make something happen?

Alan Harding CEng FIET MINCOSE
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Last year my stepson won the INCOSE body of knowladge book, at the STEM promotion science fair held yearly at Northrop Gruman. Many societies and institutes such as IET, IEEE, and INCOSE had booths with promotional materials. Interesting lectures from NASA, JPL, and others about CURIOSITY 2020 project and many others are offered during the event. Parents bring children to raise the children's interest in STEM and Engineering etc.

I like the approach of raising the profile of Systems Engineering within the IET

In some companies, Systems Engineering was hijacked by Engineering of Sytems and it's maybe a subject for future discussions.

At least a few of colleagues are calling themselves Software Architects or other designation and Systems Engineer. Obviously, Systems Engineering covers many Engineering disciplines yet it has no Engineer designation.  The Certification by  INCOSE is very rigorous and demanding, and again most Systems Engineers that looked at it feel that it should be called Certified Professional Systems Engineer and that Engineering Practitioner or Professional designation is weak and misunderstood.

At one of my jobs, I was a Regional Systems Engineer, the position no longer exists today its been replaced by Systems Architect due to legalities of the use of the title Engineer.

Yet some societies are brave they, for example, SBE in the USA, have Professional Broadcast Engineer certification.

I didn't check personally but intend to do so, while there are jobs specifically requesting Sytems Engineers how many of these jobs are requesting an INCOSE certification?

Some say Systems Engineer had its pick in the late 90s early 2000's, now its viewed wrongfully I may add as somewhat archaic designation, maybe because it's not promoted properly.  

Only yesterday local  IET - 
    IET Southern California members and their families attended an IET event: 
    "Virgin Orbit Visit".  https://virginorbit.com/

What can I say, it had in my mind Sytems Engineering all over it. And they are now searching for Principal SE's who will be performing system architecture, performance analysis, hazards analysis, and verification activities in support of the integrated LauncherOne, 747 and launch operations system for the LauncherOne small satellite launch program. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
    ** I don't work for them nor represent or advertise here anything related just providing my opinion and info.

Moshe Waserman, BEET, MCGI, CEng MBCS, MIET
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Last year my stepson won the INCOSE body of knowladge book, at the STEM promotion science fair held yearly at Northrop Gruman. Many societies and institutes such as IET, IEEE, and INCOSE had booths with promotional materials. Interesting lectures from NASA, JPL, and others about CURIOSITY 2020 project and many others are offered during the event. Parents bring children to raise the children's interest in STEM and Engineering etc.

I like the approach of raising the profile of Systems Engineering within the IET

In some companies, Systems Engineering was hijacked by Engineering of Sytems and it's maybe a subject for future discussions.

At least a few of colleagues are calling themselves Software Architects or other designation and Systems Engineer. Obviously, Systems Engineering covers many Engineering disciplines yet it has no Engineer designation.  The Certification by  INCOSE is very rigorous and demanding, and again most Systems Engineers that looked at it feel that it should be called Certified Professional Systems Engineer and that Engineering Practitioner or Professional designation is weak and misunderstood.

At one of my jobs, I was a Regional Systems Engineer, the position no longer exists today its been replaced by Systems Architect due to legalities of the use of the title Engineer.

Yet some societies are brave they, for example, SBE in the USA, have Professional Broadcast Engineer certification.

I didn't check personally but intend to do so, while there are jobs specifically requesting Sytems Engineers how many of these jobs are requesting an INCOSE certification?

Some say Systems Engineer had its pick in the late 90s early 2000's, now its viewed wrongfully I may add as somewhat archaic designation, maybe because it's not promoted properly.  

Only yesterday local  IET - 
    IET Southern California members and their families attended an IET event: 
    "Virgin Orbit Visit".  https://virginorbit.com/

What can I say, it had in my mind Sytems Engineering all over it. And they are now searching for Principal SE's who will be performing system architecture, performance analysis, hazards analysis, and verification activities in support of the integrated LauncherOne, 747 and launch operations system for the LauncherOne small satellite launch program. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
    ** I don't work for them nor represent or advertise here anything related just providing my opinion and info.

Moshe Waserman, BEET, MCGI, CEng MBCS, MIET
Children
No Data