This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Cultural dimensions in IET volunteering

Diversity and inclusion is a hot topic at the moment – not just here at the IET but in many guises around the world – but in one very specific sense I’ve been wondering how well we take account of cultural dimensions in the way we engage with volunteers.

In doing some research I was pointed to information on a model of cultural dimensions created by Hofstede: https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_66.htm

It made we wonder if the volunteering practices here at the IET are biased towards particular cultural norms that exclude, or make volunteering less inviting, for others?  For example, does the fact that our governance is structured around formal committees – and with positions accessed via election – create a barrier for some people? 

Dare I also wonder if the way we work and communicate brings problems?  Would the use of Engineering Communities be a minefield for people sensitive to causing offence or not comfortable with airing views to a group they do not know?  Of course, if you’re reading this then the answer for you would be ‘no’!  However, I wonder what your colleagues would say?

Can anyone help me out by sharing their thoughts on whether there are cultural dimensions to volunteering that we could consider in trying to make the IET more diverse and inclusive?

Thanks for any input you can share,

Sandra
Parents
  • I think that there are many aspects to what inspires some to volunteer and puts others off. Whilst some things might have a cultural aspect, there are many other traits that will vary between those in the same country, office or even family. Personality, confidence, experience, responsibilities and preferences will all play a large role too.

Some introverts may be less likely to volunteer for speaking engagements than perhaps extroverts may be, but might be more likely to volunteer to write articles. Some dyslexic people may be less likely to volunteer for writing articles but might be more keen to volunteer for physical demonstrations of tasks. Some parents may be less likely to volunteer for evening events if they have childcare duties, but may be more likely to volunteer for their child's school's STEM events.

It is important to have diversity amongst volunteers, but it should be remembered that certain types of activity might be more likely to attract certain types of people. What I think is important is to ensure that all of the different volunteering opportunities available are communicated to all members in all locations and that there are enough opportunities to cover all personality types and skill-sets. Committee work, speaker opportunities, writing/reviewing opportunities, mentoring, school outreach tasks, demonstrations, conference attendance, or the behind the scenes organising of networking events and any other volunteering opportunities should all be seen as equally valid contributions to the success of the industry.

Re: Dare I also wonder if the way we work and communicate brings problems?  Would the use of Engineering Communities be a minefield for people sensitive to causing offence or not comfortable with airing views to a group they do not know?

Yes, some people may not feel comfortable sharing their views in public spaces, but as Chris states, the solution is to encourage the less courageous, rather than limit the bold. EC is something of a microcosm, and as in any section of life, there will be people that you agree with and people you don't. It is part of life, and something everyone has to learn to deal with, regardless of where in the world they may be. Learning to state your own views in a diplomatic way is also a life-skill (and one that everyone gets wrong every now and then). If there is anything posted that borders on offensive, you just have to hope that that people will give you the benefit of the doubt and appreciate that nuance or sarcasm or tone can sometimes be lost in the written word and (unless obvious insults have been traded) that no harm was intended.
  • I think that there are many aspects to what inspires some to volunteer and puts others off. Whilst some things might have a cultural aspect, there are many other traits that will vary between those in the same country, office or even family. Personality, confidence, experience, responsibilities and preferences will all play a large role too.

Some introverts may be less likely to volunteer for speaking engagements than perhaps extroverts may be, but might be more likely to volunteer to write articles. Some dyslexic people may be less likely to volunteer for writing articles but might be more keen to volunteer for physical demonstrations of tasks. Some parents may be less likely to volunteer for evening events if they have childcare duties, but may be more likely to volunteer for their child's school's STEM events.

It is important to have diversity amongst volunteers, but it should be remembered that certain types of activity might be more likely to attract certain types of people. What I think is important is to ensure that all of the different volunteering opportunities available are communicated to all members in all locations and that there are enough opportunities to cover all personality types and skill-sets. Committee work, speaker opportunities, writing/reviewing opportunities, mentoring, school outreach tasks, demonstrations, conference attendance, or the behind the scenes organising of networking events and any other volunteering opportunities should all be seen as equally valid contributions to the success of the industry.

Re: Dare I also wonder if the way we work and communicate brings problems?  Would the use of Engineering Communities be a minefield for people sensitive to causing offence or not comfortable with airing views to a group they do not know?

Yes, some people may not feel comfortable sharing their views in public spaces, but as Chris states, the solution is to encourage the less courageous, rather than limit the bold. EC is something of a microcosm, and as in any section of life, there will be people that you agree with and people you don't. It is part of life, and something everyone has to learn to deal with, regardless of where in the world they may be. Learning to state your own views in a diplomatic way is also a life-skill (and one that everyone gets wrong every now and then). If there is anything posted that borders on offensive, you just have to hope that that people will give you the benefit of the doubt and appreciate that nuance or sarcasm or tone can sometimes be lost in the written word and (unless obvious insults have been traded) that no harm was intended.
Children
No Data