This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Cultural dimensions in IET volunteering

Diversity and inclusion is a hot topic at the moment – not just here at the IET but in many guises around the world – but in one very specific sense I’ve been wondering how well we take account of cultural dimensions in the way we engage with volunteers.

In doing some research I was pointed to information on a model of cultural dimensions created by Hofstede: https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_66.htm

It made we wonder if the volunteering practices here at the IET are biased towards particular cultural norms that exclude, or make volunteering less inviting, for others?  For example, does the fact that our governance is structured around formal committees – and with positions accessed via election – create a barrier for some people? 

Dare I also wonder if the way we work and communicate brings problems?  Would the use of Engineering Communities be a minefield for people sensitive to causing offence or not comfortable with airing views to a group they do not know?  Of course, if you’re reading this then the answer for you would be ‘no’!  However, I wonder what your colleagues would say?

Can anyone help me out by sharing their thoughts on whether there are cultural dimensions to volunteering that we could consider in trying to make the IET more diverse and inclusive?

Thanks for any input you can share,

Sandra
Parents
  • Sandra has initiated a very very interesting discussion here.  Its been very touchy for me.   The views/comments of Chris and Amber are also impressive.

Well!  The web link referred by Sandra is self explanatory and explains in a generic manner.  I am not a Psychologist but as an IET Volunteer, i would love to take part in this discussion.  I think the IET is not only a multi-disciplinary professional institution but also a multi-national, hence, multi-cultural.  Any kind of org majorly depends on the communication.  As an international organization, the IET uses the British English Language which is not the first language of most of the Nations included in the family of the IET.  The IET Volunteers from all nations are the managerial part of the IET.  Hence, when they communicate with each other e.g. to the IET-UK H/Qs with the IET-Staff or higher tier Committees, most of the time, things are mis-interpreted.  Some time causes huge loss e.g. the Volunteers left their positions or even left the IET etc..

Beside the language, the Culture puts a great impact.  Let me share a real story of mine.  I am a citizen of Pakistan, hence, have the Pakistani Culture.  I went to Saudi Arabia for employment in a multi-national German Company.  In this company, as per my knowledge, more then 10 Nationalities were working.  Once, due to some reason, my immidiate saudi boss said me the word "stupid".  I seriously minded because of my culture and complained.  My Project Manager was German, he called me to discuss, i explained.  Then he said, the word "stupid" is a normal word.   wink    So besides the language,  culture matters.  Pakistani, Saudi and German interpreted the same word differently.

Another aspect is:  IET-UK has Networks in India and Pakistan.  All the world knows the relationship of India and Pakistan.  IET-UK has its South Asia Region.  India had been ignoring and suppressing the Pakistan for IET related matters as far as Pakistan been the part of the South Asia Region.  The IET-UK could not manage it.  Finally Pakistan was attached with the EMEA Region.  All this affected the IET Volunteering at Pakistan whereas India progressed.  I mean to say that the IET-UK could understand this dimension at an early stage but now it is too late.

The purchase power of some countries where the IET exists, is very less.  So Volunteering does not matter to the citizens of such kind of countries because obviously they are putting their energies to earn enough money to fulfill their day to day essential needs.  The IET volunteering will also be affected until and unless the IET gives some financial incentives to do the volunteering.

So i would suggest that if the IET-UK is really serious on the subject matter, then at first, they should give trainings to all the IET-UK Staff, then the Volunteers, on this very very important issue.  I also suggest the IET-UK may make it essential for each and every non-british Local Network to conduct the English Language and Communication Skills Courses based on the British Culture/Society, at least two times a year, for every volunteer.  We, the volunteers, have to learn the cultures of each other.

Sandra, i am sure, by doing so, the IET Volunteering will be rised.

Thank you.

• Sandra has initiated a very very interesting discussion here.  Its been very touchy for me.   The views/comments of Chris and Amber are also impressive.

Well!  The web link referred by Sandra is self explanatory and explains in a generic manner.  I am not a Psychologist but as an IET Volunteer, i would love to take part in this discussion.  I think the IET is not only a multi-disciplinary professional institution but also a multi-national, hence, multi-cultural.  Any kind of org majorly depends on the communication.  As an international organization, the IET uses the British English Language which is not the first language of most of the Nations included in the family of the IET.  The IET Volunteers from all nations are the managerial part of the IET.  Hence, when they communicate with each other e.g. to the IET-UK H/Qs with the IET-Staff or higher tier Committees, most of the time, things are mis-interpreted.  Some time causes huge loss e.g. the Volunteers left their positions or even left the IET etc..

Beside the language, the Culture puts a great impact.  Let me share a real story of mine.  I am a citizen of Pakistan, hence, have the Pakistani Culture.  I went to Saudi Arabia for employment in a multi-national German Company.  In this company, as per my knowledge, more then 10 Nationalities were working.  Once, due to some reason, my immidiate saudi boss said me the word "stupid".  I seriously minded because of my culture and complained.  My Project Manager was German, he called me to discuss, i explained.  Then he said, the word "stupid" is a normal word.   wink    So besides the language,  culture matters.  Pakistani, Saudi and German interpreted the same word differently.

Another aspect is:  IET-UK has Networks in India and Pakistan.  All the world knows the relationship of India and Pakistan.  IET-UK has its South Asia Region.  India had been ignoring and suppressing the Pakistan for IET related matters as far as Pakistan been the part of the South Asia Region.  The IET-UK could not manage it.  Finally Pakistan was attached with the EMEA Region.  All this affected the IET Volunteering at Pakistan whereas India progressed.  I mean to say that the IET-UK could understand this dimension at an early stage but now it is too late.

The purchase power of some countries where the IET exists, is very less.  So Volunteering does not matter to the citizens of such kind of countries because obviously they are putting their energies to earn enough money to fulfill their day to day essential needs.  The IET volunteering will also be affected until and unless the IET gives some financial incentives to do the volunteering.

So i would suggest that if the IET-UK is really serious on the subject matter, then at first, they should give trainings to all the IET-UK Staff, then the Volunteers, on this very very important issue.  I also suggest the IET-UK may make it essential for each and every non-british Local Network to conduct the English Language and Communication Skills Courses based on the British Culture/Society, at least two times a year, for every volunteer.  We, the volunteers, have to learn the cultures of each other.

Sandra, i am sure, by doing so, the IET Volunteering will be rised.

Thank you.

Children
No Data