This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Cultural dimensions in IET volunteering

Diversity and inclusion is a hot topic at the moment – not just here at the IET but in many guises around the world – but in one very specific sense I’ve been wondering how well we take account of cultural dimensions in the way we engage with volunteers.

In doing some research I was pointed to information on a model of cultural dimensions created by Hofstede: https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_66.htm

It made we wonder if the volunteering practices here at the IET are biased towards particular cultural norms that exclude, or make volunteering less inviting, for others?  For example, does the fact that our governance is structured around formal committees – and with positions accessed via election – create a barrier for some people? 

Dare I also wonder if the way we work and communicate brings problems?  Would the use of Engineering Communities be a minefield for people sensitive to causing offence or not comfortable with airing views to a group they do not know?  Of course, if you’re reading this then the answer for you would be ‘no’!  However, I wonder what your colleagues would say?

Can anyone help me out by sharing their thoughts on whether there are cultural dimensions to volunteering that we could consider in trying to make the IET more diverse and inclusive?

Thanks for any input you can share,

Sandra
Parents
  • Some really interesting points Nouman.

Regarding your experience with the Saudi boss/German PM... I would also have taken offence in that situation. "Stupid" might be a "normal" word, but I don't think there is a language in the world in which "stupid" can be interpreted as a compliment! I find it irritating that the situation was turned around to make it your problem for over-reacting, rather than the insulting behaviour being challenged as unacceptable. I have worked at previous jobs in which completely unacceptable language and behaviour was carried out (eg. men superimposing female colleagues' faces onto inappropriate pictures) and women who found it objectionable were made to feel like they were over-reacting because the behaviour was so normalised in the office ("It's just a bit of fun", "they don't mean any harm by it", "it's just banter", "everyone does it", "we've always done it", "can't you take a joke?", etc.). Regardless of whether a word or deed is "normal" for the office, if it causes offence, then the company has a responsibility to address it properly (or what is to stop it happening again or to stop the offended party leaving that environment/company and thus reducing the diversity further and making it harder for those who remain to stand up?). It is always difficult to stand up and call out unacceptable behaviour, particularly if you are in a minority (in terms of nationality, gender, age, race, religion, length of service or anything else.) so well done to you for doing so.

Interesting point also about financial incentives, although I'm not sure how easy this would be to implement given not just the amount of money required, but the exchange rates, tax codes, tax returns, and the amount of time required to manage and process so many payments. Are there any non-financial incentives that you think would be valuable?
  • Some really interesting points Nouman.

Regarding your experience with the Saudi boss/German PM... I would also have taken offence in that situation. "Stupid" might be a "normal" word, but I don't think there is a language in the world in which "stupid" can be interpreted as a compliment! I find it irritating that the situation was turned around to make it your problem for over-reacting, rather than the insulting behaviour being challenged as unacceptable. I have worked at previous jobs in which completely unacceptable language and behaviour was carried out (eg. men superimposing female colleagues' faces onto inappropriate pictures) and women who found it objectionable were made to feel like they were over-reacting because the behaviour was so normalised in the office ("It's just a bit of fun", "they don't mean any harm by it", "it's just banter", "everyone does it", "we've always done it", "can't you take a joke?", etc.). Regardless of whether a word or deed is "normal" for the office, if it causes offence, then the company has a responsibility to address it properly (or what is to stop it happening again or to stop the offended party leaving that environment/company and thus reducing the diversity further and making it harder for those who remain to stand up?). It is always difficult to stand up and call out unacceptable behaviour, particularly if you are in a minority (in terms of nationality, gender, age, race, religion, length of service or anything else.) so well done to you for doing so.

Interesting point also about financial incentives, although I'm not sure how easy this would be to implement given not just the amount of money required, but the exchange rates, tax codes, tax returns, and the amount of time required to manage and process so many payments. Are there any non-financial incentives that you think would be valuable?
Children
No Data