This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Cultural dimensions in IET volunteering

Diversity and inclusion is a hot topic at the moment – not just here at the IET but in many guises around the world – but in one very specific sense I’ve been wondering how well we take account of cultural dimensions in the way we engage with volunteers.

In doing some research I was pointed to information on a model of cultural dimensions created by Hofstede: https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_66.htm

It made we wonder if the volunteering practices here at the IET are biased towards particular cultural norms that exclude, or make volunteering less inviting, for others?  For example, does the fact that our governance is structured around formal committees – and with positions accessed via election – create a barrier for some people? 

Dare I also wonder if the way we work and communicate brings problems?  Would the use of Engineering Communities be a minefield for people sensitive to causing offence or not comfortable with airing views to a group they do not know?  Of course, if you’re reading this then the answer for you would be ‘no’!  However, I wonder what your colleagues would say?

Can anyone help me out by sharing their thoughts on whether there are cultural dimensions to volunteering that we could consider in trying to make the IET more diverse and inclusive?

Thanks for any input you can share,

Sandra
Parents
  • Dear Sandra

Thank you initiating this post/discussion.

​A very broad and at the same time “politically” sensitive one that people tend not to discuss; at least publicly and more especially on an on-line community.

Just make the discussion lighter, I am sure most of have seen the below screenshot:
    df8ca5f17c18ecd8137cd94aed529618-huge-photo.png

Having worked abroad and being a non-native speaker indeed causes some barriers and difficulties. But accepting the fact that you are a member of a larger organisation that has already been there before you and will be there after you, makes you adapt.

The most thing and the one that I think everybody needs to have in mind is that: You need to respect each individual as well as respect the organisation/team and that is the perfect balance that we need to strike.

I believe the IET is very diverse and inclusive and as always there is room for improvement. Steps have been taken and will be taken going forward.

The fact that all IET staff have mandatory cultural awareness training, shows the dedication the IET has put into understating its member worldwide.

This topic is quite hot and that is why the President has made it as one if his four themes. 

I am currently supporting the President in his theme “Diversity and Inclusivity” and I am sure that opinions will differ but this “disagreement” is the one that made the IET progress all these years.

Best regards

Alkis

• Dear Sandra

Thank you initiating this post/discussion.

​A very broad and at the same time “politically” sensitive one that people tend not to discuss; at least publicly and more especially on an on-line community.

Just make the discussion lighter, I am sure most of have seen the below screenshot:
    df8ca5f17c18ecd8137cd94aed529618-huge-photo.png

Having worked abroad and being a non-native speaker indeed causes some barriers and difficulties. But accepting the fact that you are a member of a larger organisation that has already been there before you and will be there after you, makes you adapt.

The most thing and the one that I think everybody needs to have in mind is that: You need to respect each individual as well as respect the organisation/team and that is the perfect balance that we need to strike.

I believe the IET is very diverse and inclusive and as always there is room for improvement. Steps have been taken and will be taken going forward.

The fact that all IET staff have mandatory cultural awareness training, shows the dedication the IET has put into understating its member worldwide.

This topic is quite hot and that is why the President has made it as one if his four themes. 

I am currently supporting the President in his theme “Diversity and Inclusivity” and I am sure that opinions will differ but this “disagreement” is the one that made the IET progress all these years.

Best regards

Alkis

Children
No Data