This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Sexism row over 'Engineering Barbie'

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
''Experts said that despite 'Engineering Barbie' encouraging girls to build things, it reinforced unhelpful stereotypes'' CREDIT: THAMES AND KOSMOS

''A sexism row has erupted over a new Barbie doll which encourages girls to become engineers by building washing machines and racks for their shoes and jewellery.'' - The Telegraph

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.  Do you agree that it reinforces unhelpful stereotypes?  I should imagine that it would spark a similar argument to that of the pink Lego and only allowing girls to build things like kitchens and princess castles.

Read more...
c5b92357e5d150f1a90b75f3bbe91546-huge-barbie-1.jpg

Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    wow I hadn't heard of that Barbie-computer engineer story! I would really hate to be in one of their meetings when they come up with such ideas.

I agree, creating such half-thought of products can only harm the situation more - then they can say: oh but we tried this, it just did not work. Girls just do not like this stuff.

It makes me wonder of their intentions in the first place.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    wow I hadn't heard of that Barbie-computer engineer story! I would really hate to be in one of their meetings when they come up with such ideas.

I agree, creating such half-thought of products can only harm the situation more - then they can say: oh but we tried this, it just did not work. Girls just do not like this stuff.

It makes me wonder of their intentions in the first place.
Children
No Data