This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Sexism row over 'Engineering Barbie'

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
''Experts said that despite 'Engineering Barbie' encouraging girls to build things, it reinforced unhelpful stereotypes'' CREDIT: THAMES AND KOSMOS

''A sexism row has erupted over a new Barbie doll which encourages girls to become engineers by building washing machines and racks for their shoes and jewellery.'' - The Telegraph

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.  Do you agree that it reinforces unhelpful stereotypes?  I should imagine that it would spark a similar argument to that of the pink Lego and only allowing girls to build things like kitchens and princess castles.

Read more...
c5b92357e5d150f1a90b75f3bbe91546-huge-barbie-1.jpg

Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Folks,

There is an opportunity to do better than this.  I don't have the all of the answers, but "pinkyifying" engineering is certainly not the right approach.  Parents and educators are still key players in opening the eyes of their children to the engineering and technology careers.  Look to the Middle East where, in many countries, parents encourage their daughters to join a profession that both parents and children can be "proud" of, typically engineering and medicine.

Edwin
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Folks,

There is an opportunity to do better than this.  I don't have the all of the answers, but "pinkyifying" engineering is certainly not the right approach.  Parents and educators are still key players in opening the eyes of their children to the engineering and technology careers.  Look to the Middle East where, in many countries, parents encourage their daughters to join a profession that both parents and children can be "proud" of, typically engineering and medicine.

Edwin
Children
No Data