This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Sexism row over 'Engineering Barbie'

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
''Experts said that despite 'Engineering Barbie' encouraging girls to build things, it reinforced unhelpful stereotypes'' CREDIT: THAMES AND KOSMOS

''A sexism row has erupted over a new Barbie doll which encourages girls to become engineers by building washing machines and racks for their shoes and jewellery.'' - The Telegraph

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.  Do you agree that it reinforces unhelpful stereotypes?  I should imagine that it would spark a similar argument to that of the pink Lego and only allowing girls to build things like kitchens and princess castles.

Read more...
c5b92357e5d150f1a90b75f3bbe91546-huge-barbie-1.jpg

Parents
  • I'm reminded of when I bought a tool kit (hammer, pliers, screwdrivers etc, real tools not toy ones) for my neices about 14 years ago (they were aged about 12 and 7 at the time).  They were only interested in the one in the pink case where the handles of the tools were pink.  Fortunately it had pretty much the same tools as the blue and grey tool boxes, no hammer but I was able to find a hammer with a pink handle.  Neither of them went into engineering, I'm sad to say, but they can both assemble flat pack furniture quickly and it will stay up.
  • I'm reminded of when I bought a tool kit (hammer, pliers, screwdrivers etc, real tools not toy ones) for my neices about 14 years ago (they were aged about 12 and 7 at the time).  They were only interested in the one in the pink case where the handles of the tools were pink.  Fortunately it had pretty much the same tools as the blue and grey tool boxes, no hammer but I was able to find a hammer with a pink handle.  Neither of them went into engineering, I'm sad to say, but they can both assemble flat pack furniture quickly and it will stay up.
Children
No Data