This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Sexism row over 'Engineering Barbie'

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
''Experts said that despite 'Engineering Barbie' encouraging girls to build things, it reinforced unhelpful stereotypes'' CREDIT: THAMES AND KOSMOS

''A sexism row has erupted over a new Barbie doll which encourages girls to become engineers by building washing machines and racks for their shoes and jewellery.'' - The Telegraph

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.  Do you agree that it reinforces unhelpful stereotypes?  I should imagine that it would spark a similar argument to that of the pink Lego and only allowing girls to build things like kitchens and princess castles.

Read more...
c5b92357e5d150f1a90b75f3bbe91546-huge-barbie-1.jpg

Parents
  • I find it interesting that they now feel the need to make things pink just to market to girls.  I suspect at least part of the issue is that Barbie has always lived up to the female stereotypes and this is seen as part of the branding for Barbie particularly.

Interestingly other toys, have much better diversity and support this in subtle ways.  I spent a lot of Christmas playing with playmobil with the children in the family and we talked about having girl pirates and boy pirates (there was also diversity of race and disability - although this may just be because pirates are stereotyped with wooden legs).  There didn't seem to be a need to classify then as "Lady Pirate" or "Boy Pirate" - just playmobil pirates.

Other dolls, with more diverse career prospects are also available - personally I wish Lottie had been around whilst I was growing up. I suspect I may have grown up to be a fossil hunter - http://uk.lottie.com/
  • I find it interesting that they now feel the need to make things pink just to market to girls.  I suspect at least part of the issue is that Barbie has always lived up to the female stereotypes and this is seen as part of the branding for Barbie particularly.

Interestingly other toys, have much better diversity and support this in subtle ways.  I spent a lot of Christmas playing with playmobil with the children in the family and we talked about having girl pirates and boy pirates (there was also diversity of race and disability - although this may just be because pirates are stereotyped with wooden legs).  There didn't seem to be a need to classify then as "Lady Pirate" or "Boy Pirate" - just playmobil pirates.

Other dolls, with more diverse career prospects are also available - personally I wish Lottie had been around whilst I was growing up. I suspect I may have grown up to be a fossil hunter - http://uk.lottie.com/
Children
No Data