This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Man up and take your paternity leave

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Take a look at this interesting blog  By Abbie Hutty, Senior Spacecraft Structures Engineer, Airbus Defence and Space Ltd and IET Young Woman Engineer of the Year 2013

''Ever wished you could, through some noble act of gallantry, save damsels in distress? Here’s how, 21st Century style'' - Abbie Hutty

Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I think the blog is well-intentioned, but it's also a bit unfair on some men by making all sorts of assumptions and negative sweeping statements.

What we don't know is how many men have wanted to take parental leave, but haven't done so because their wife / partner wanted or insisted on taking the parental leave. Let's not forget that there will be many women who are perfectly happy - we need to stop thinking that they are not.

I think the blog also assumes that couples haven't thought it through or even discussed the idea of shared parental leave. It is perfectly reasonable that some couples would like to, but financially can't. I think it really rubs salt in the wound for men who want to do it, but literally can't because they are the higher earners and essentially become trapped by that (I have commented before on why unequal pay harms both men and women).

I also object to the term "man up" in the context of a blog about equality. It's actually quite a sexist term and has been used in destructive ways towards men. This article better explains. Personally, I'd hate to be chastised and bullied ("man up" can really tread a fine line) by society if I was desperate to share parental leave but couldn't find a way to make it work.

What would be appropriate is to suggest that men, who are in a position to share parental leave but believe it's the "women's place" or that they can't do it, need to grow up.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I think the blog is well-intentioned, but it's also a bit unfair on some men by making all sorts of assumptions and negative sweeping statements.

What we don't know is how many men have wanted to take parental leave, but haven't done so because their wife / partner wanted or insisted on taking the parental leave. Let's not forget that there will be many women who are perfectly happy - we need to stop thinking that they are not.

I think the blog also assumes that couples haven't thought it through or even discussed the idea of shared parental leave. It is perfectly reasonable that some couples would like to, but financially can't. I think it really rubs salt in the wound for men who want to do it, but literally can't because they are the higher earners and essentially become trapped by that (I have commented before on why unequal pay harms both men and women).

I also object to the term "man up" in the context of a blog about equality. It's actually quite a sexist term and has been used in destructive ways towards men. This article better explains. Personally, I'd hate to be chastised and bullied ("man up" can really tread a fine line) by society if I was desperate to share parental leave but couldn't find a way to make it work.

What would be appropriate is to suggest that men, who are in a position to share parental leave but believe it's the "women's place" or that they can't do it, need to grow up.

Children
No Data