This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Man up and take your paternity leave

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Take a look at this interesting blog  By Abbie Hutty, Senior Spacecraft Structures Engineer, Airbus Defence and Space Ltd and IET Young Woman Engineer of the Year 2013

''Ever wished you could, through some noble act of gallantry, save damsels in distress? Here’s how, 21st Century style'' - Abbie Hutty

Parents

• David Houssein:
    Antonia Tzemanaki‍ - I just re-read the article to see whether I'd mis-judged the tone, but it still felt quite critical of men in general. I've never known "man up" to be used in the context you describe - I'm sure there are lots of men who've been on the receiving end of some pretty nasty comments and would struggle to agree with you. But I guess we just have different interpretations and will have to agree to disagree.

I actually broadly agree with the sentiment of the blog. Like Stephen, I think it's employers who should be taking the criticism and not men (OK, some of us are idiots but that's nothing to do with gender!).

Abimbola Akanwo-Hood‍ - I didn't, but having just had it quick look it does seem to chime with some of what I am saying. 55% of women wouldn't want to share with parental leave, so it would be unfair to criticise their partners.63% of men who already have children would likely choose to share parental leave if they could, so again it seems unfair to criticise these people. The report seems to suggest very strongly to me that men, for the most part, are not the problem.

The only way we will solve inequality is by being collaborative rather than divisive. I know that's part of what Abbie is trying to say, but for reasons I've already explained, I don't think telling men to "man up" is helpful. 

David: I pointed out the inluded articles (the survey result and the study) in Abbie's artcles because your intial statement:
    "David Houssein:
    I think the blog is well-intentioned, but it's also a bit unfair on some men by making all sorts of assumptions and negative sweeping statements."

was unexpected and condensending of what I feel is a good article on a difficult and potentially divisive subject. I did not see "all sorts of assumptions and negative sweeping statements" in the article Abbie wrote.

While I agree the argument that the term/phrase "man-up" can be emotionally wounding and, or damaging (www.telegraph.co.uk/.../Is-man-up-the-most-destructive-phrase-in-modern-culture.html), I feel it was used in the article to imply encouragement. It was a fairly balanced, well researched and argued article.

• David Houssein:
    Antonia Tzemanaki‍ - I just re-read the article to see whether I'd mis-judged the tone, but it still felt quite critical of men in general. I've never known "man up" to be used in the context you describe - I'm sure there are lots of men who've been on the receiving end of some pretty nasty comments and would struggle to agree with you. But I guess we just have different interpretations and will have to agree to disagree.

I actually broadly agree with the sentiment of the blog. Like Stephen, I think it's employers who should be taking the criticism and not men (OK, some of us are idiots but that's nothing to do with gender!).

Abimbola Akanwo-Hood‍ - I didn't, but having just had it quick look it does seem to chime with some of what I am saying. 55% of women wouldn't want to share with parental leave, so it would be unfair to criticise their partners.63% of men who already have children would likely choose to share parental leave if they could, so again it seems unfair to criticise these people. The report seems to suggest very strongly to me that men, for the most part, are not the problem.

The only way we will solve inequality is by being collaborative rather than divisive. I know that's part of what Abbie is trying to say, but for reasons I've already explained, I don't think telling men to "man up" is helpful. 

David: I pointed out the inluded articles (the survey result and the study) in Abbie's artcles because your intial statement:
    "David Houssein:
    I think the blog is well-intentioned, but it's also a bit unfair on some men by making all sorts of assumptions and negative sweeping statements."

was unexpected and condensending of what I feel is a good article on a difficult and potentially divisive subject. I did not see "all sorts of assumptions and negative sweeping statements" in the article Abbie wrote.

While I agree the argument that the term/phrase "man-up" can be emotionally wounding and, or damaging (www.telegraph.co.uk/.../Is-man-up-the-most-destructive-phrase-in-modern-culture.html), I feel it was used in the article to imply encouragement. It was a fairly balanced, well researched and argued article.

Children
No Data