This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Man up and take your paternity leave

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Take a look at this interesting blog  By Abbie Hutty, Senior Spacecraft Structures Engineer, Airbus Defence and Space Ltd and IET Young Woman Engineer of the Year 2013

''Ever wished you could, through some noble act of gallantry, save damsels in distress? Here’s how, 21st Century style'' - Abbie Hutty

Parents

• Amy Louise Anderson-Beecham:

I have never really looked into what paternity/maternity leave and pay is offered; I understand from friends of mine that Maternity pay isn't great from some employers but not much is said regarding paternity pay. I think for both men and women it is heavily dependant upon who they work for (their company policies) and whether the worker is Salaried or Hourly paid. 

As recently as a few weeks ago I was checking through the paternity policy at work as one of the men in my team (hourly paid) was about to become a dad for the first time and wanted to take his two weeks paternity leave. We both read through the policy and I was disgusted with the poor pay that he will get during the two weeks. At first we both thought we had read it wrong but the weekly pay he will recieve is less than what he would get paid for a 12 hour shift! He is still taking the two weeks paternity leave and we have tried to work his shift pattern so he can spend as much time at home with his new daughter as possible without him losing out on too much pay as he will need that to live, with his wife on a lower wage due to her maternity leave.

Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) is paid for up to 39 weeks. You get:

• 90% of your average weekly earnings (before tax) for the first 6 weeks

• £140 or 90% of your average weekly earnings (whichever is lower) for the next 33 weeks.

• You can then take an additional 13 weeks of leave, which is unpaid.

For many people, this is indeed less than they would earn for 12 hours of work (and for the last 13 weeks - this is certainly less than anyone would earn!). This is one of the lowest rates in Europe (only Ireland and Slovakia have worse maternity pay entitlement). As Abbie points out, statutory pay does not come close to covering many people's outgoings (mortgage/rent, utilities, food, council tax etc.) let alone the additional expenses that usually accompany a newborn (buggy, cot, car seat, clothes, nappies etc., etc., etc)

It is great that you have been able to work with your employee to arrange his shifts in a helpful manner. As childcare is so expensive, I think that greater assistance like this is needed from employers in offering ongoing flexible working practices. Greater flexibility will, I think, certainly encourage a more equal division of paid work/stay-at-home child care, as parents juggle and tag-team to manage the round-the-clock caring duties with the financial responsibilities of the household. It is also worth noting that babies can't suddenly look after themselves when the first year of maternity leave is finished. Whilst SMP might not be the best, at least it is there - after a year, there is no assistance, so ongoing flexibility is needed to ensure that both parents can be there when needed for the duration of that child's young life. Greater flexibility would also ensure that there are fewer barriers to returning to work for the parent who has been the primary carer during the parental leave period. If more roles were available as a job share or on a part-time basis, I think that women would be able to continue in their chosen career more easily, rather than having to pick a new (usually low-paid) job because it fits in with the school run and because they have lost their confidence in the skills/experience they had before they were out of their chosen industry for a year (or more).

• Amy Louise Anderson-Beecham:

I have never really looked into what paternity/maternity leave and pay is offered; I understand from friends of mine that Maternity pay isn't great from some employers but not much is said regarding paternity pay. I think for both men and women it is heavily dependant upon who they work for (their company policies) and whether the worker is Salaried or Hourly paid. 

As recently as a few weeks ago I was checking through the paternity policy at work as one of the men in my team (hourly paid) was about to become a dad for the first time and wanted to take his two weeks paternity leave. We both read through the policy and I was disgusted with the poor pay that he will get during the two weeks. At first we both thought we had read it wrong but the weekly pay he will recieve is less than what he would get paid for a 12 hour shift! He is still taking the two weeks paternity leave and we have tried to work his shift pattern so he can spend as much time at home with his new daughter as possible without him losing out on too much pay as he will need that to live, with his wife on a lower wage due to her maternity leave.

Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) is paid for up to 39 weeks. You get:

• 90% of your average weekly earnings (before tax) for the first 6 weeks

• £140 or 90% of your average weekly earnings (whichever is lower) for the next 33 weeks.

• You can then take an additional 13 weeks of leave, which is unpaid.

For many people, this is indeed less than they would earn for 12 hours of work (and for the last 13 weeks - this is certainly less than anyone would earn!). This is one of the lowest rates in Europe (only Ireland and Slovakia have worse maternity pay entitlement). As Abbie points out, statutory pay does not come close to covering many people's outgoings (mortgage/rent, utilities, food, council tax etc.) let alone the additional expenses that usually accompany a newborn (buggy, cot, car seat, clothes, nappies etc., etc., etc)

It is great that you have been able to work with your employee to arrange his shifts in a helpful manner. As childcare is so expensive, I think that greater assistance like this is needed from employers in offering ongoing flexible working practices. Greater flexibility will, I think, certainly encourage a more equal division of paid work/stay-at-home child care, as parents juggle and tag-team to manage the round-the-clock caring duties with the financial responsibilities of the household. It is also worth noting that babies can't suddenly look after themselves when the first year of maternity leave is finished. Whilst SMP might not be the best, at least it is there - after a year, there is no assistance, so ongoing flexibility is needed to ensure that both parents can be there when needed for the duration of that child's young life. Greater flexibility would also ensure that there are fewer barriers to returning to work for the parent who has been the primary carer during the parental leave period. If more roles were available as a job share or on a part-time basis, I think that women would be able to continue in their chosen career more easily, rather than having to pick a new (usually low-paid) job because it fits in with the school run and because they have lost their confidence in the skills/experience they had before they were out of their chosen industry for a year (or more).

Children
No Data