This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Google fire man who claims that women are underrepresented because they are biologically different, not because of bias....

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Ok, there's a bit more to it than is in the headlines, but you can see the full "anti-diversity manifesto" here. It's quite a read!

My personal reading is this was written by someone well-meaning but extremely mis-led and confused about why tech companies need to address diversity. It's also full of conjecture and is unnecessarily divisive (constant references to "left" and "right").

Were they right to fire him? Or was he perfectly entitled to publish his thoughts, regardless of whether or not we (or his employer) like it? Any other thoughts on the manifesto? Was there a fair point buried somewhere in the ranting?

Parents
  • Women are underrepresented simply because of the natural processes which occur within a capitalist society. It values them less than men – ie the owners of industry value them less than men. The west has opted for this cultural lifestyle because the industrialists who started the capitalist system at the beginning of the industrial revolution were pretty sure it would make them rich - and it did. But those below their intellectual and predatory levels ie the rest of us – mistakenly thought that we could have a slice of the cake on the same terms: how mistaken we were! And how mistaken we continue to be.

Women have looked at men’s income and said it’s not fair that they are paid less. And amazingly, some men have jumped on the band wagon without engaging brain. The other men allow macho stereotypical judgments to cloud the issue which whips the ladies into a frenzy of indignation; and leaves the industrialist laughing all the way to the bank thinking “divide and conquer.”

So first, the ladies have to recognise the source of their “worth”.  If a man had a problem with his stomach and took more days off than other men, and he had family commitments that kept functioning less than other men, he would automatically be valued less than other men. This value is not his compatriots’ but his employer’s. The” value” or “worth” is related to how much work the employer (industrialist) can extract from him. And so it is with women. They cannot and never will provide the same service as men (other things being equal). The ladies are locked into giving birth and that is a debility as far as the industrial is concerned. The ladies will take time off because of their periods and they will take the larger share of the family care. It’s how society is, so please don’t slag me off – this is (I believe) the view of the industrialist to whom well all bow, or go hungry. It may be unfair. But fairness is irrelevant; the industrialist set up his business to get rich, not to be fair. I am presenting the extreme end of capitalism but it’s realistic. I don’t like the outcome any more than the rest of you, but why shirk the truth.

And in truth, any female industrialist will like as not treat her women-folk exactly the same as the men do. Any ladies migrating to the level of industrialist will change their tune very quickly – or go out of business.

So IMHO the ladies are wasting their time trying to make the industrialist be fair, or reasonable. He / she will not.  You have to change our society; you will have to change capitalism – but to what, I don’t know.

Indeed, if you look at how someone with the debilities with which women have to struggle would make themselves as valuable to their employer as men, they would have to mitigate all those debilities; they would have to work harder, smarter and faster; and is this not exactly what women report they have to do? Yes it is, and it fits the model of our society exactly. 

• Women are underrepresented simply because of the natural processes which occur within a capitalist society. It values them less than men – ie the owners of industry value them less than men. The west has opted for this cultural lifestyle because the industrialists who started the capitalist system at the beginning of the industrial revolution were pretty sure it would make them rich - and it did. But those below their intellectual and predatory levels ie the rest of us – mistakenly thought that we could have a slice of the cake on the same terms: how mistaken we were! And how mistaken we continue to be.

Women have looked at men’s income and said it’s not fair that they are paid less. And amazingly, some men have jumped on the band wagon without engaging brain. The other men allow macho stereotypical judgments to cloud the issue which whips the ladies into a frenzy of indignation; and leaves the industrialist laughing all the way to the bank thinking “divide and conquer.”

So first, the ladies have to recognise the source of their “worth”.  If a man had a problem with his stomach and took more days off than other men, and he had family commitments that kept functioning less than other men, he would automatically be valued less than other men. This value is not his compatriots’ but his employer’s. The” value” or “worth” is related to how much work the employer (industrialist) can extract from him. And so it is with women. They cannot and never will provide the same service as men (other things being equal). The ladies are locked into giving birth and that is a debility as far as the industrial is concerned. The ladies will take time off because of their periods and they will take the larger share of the family care. It’s how society is, so please don’t slag me off – this is (I believe) the view of the industrialist to whom well all bow, or go hungry. It may be unfair. But fairness is irrelevant; the industrialist set up his business to get rich, not to be fair. I am presenting the extreme end of capitalism but it’s realistic. I don’t like the outcome any more than the rest of you, but why shirk the truth.

And in truth, any female industrialist will like as not treat her women-folk exactly the same as the men do. Any ladies migrating to the level of industrialist will change their tune very quickly – or go out of business.

So IMHO the ladies are wasting their time trying to make the industrialist be fair, or reasonable. He / she will not.  You have to change our society; you will have to change capitalism – but to what, I don’t know.

Indeed, if you look at how someone with the debilities with which women have to struggle would make themselves as valuable to their employer as men, they would have to mitigate all those debilities; they would have to work harder, smarter and faster; and is this not exactly what women report they have to do? Yes it is, and it fits the model of our society exactly. 

Children
No Data