This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Cyber Security

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Hi, Anyone here have experience getting an email from unknown (SPAM folder). I use Yahoomail & received an email from a random person saying that they have hacked my email account & demanding money within 48 hours or else they will lock my device after 48 hours. Is there any way to prevent from the device being locked?
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Karthikeya,

I cannot tell if there is reason for concern so take the following with a grain of salt.

This sounds like a known scam where people are contacted with very personalised emails. The scammers add a real password that they took from public breaches - you can check your email at HaveIBeenPwned.com if any passwords of yours are out there. This adds a strong element of trustworthiness and many people do genuinely panic.

The most popular scam I know of is actually a threat that they have embarrassing images from the laptop camera; or that the user has been visiting less-than-recommended websites. Then a password that the person recognises makes it really convincing.

All in all, my guess is they do not know anything that can hurt you and they are just trying to phish you. But only you can tell :)

hope it helps!

--v

Vitor Jesus
    http://www.vitorjesus.com

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Karthikeya,

I cannot tell if there is reason for concern so take the following with a grain of salt.

This sounds like a known scam where people are contacted with very personalised emails. The scammers add a real password that they took from public breaches - you can check your email at HaveIBeenPwned.com if any passwords of yours are out there. This adds a strong element of trustworthiness and many people do genuinely panic.

The most popular scam I know of is actually a threat that they have embarrassing images from the laptop camera; or that the user has been visiting less-than-recommended websites. Then a password that the person recognises makes it really convincing.

All in all, my guess is they do not know anything that can hurt you and they are just trying to phish you. But only you can tell :)

hope it helps!

--v

Vitor Jesus
    http://www.vitorjesus.com

Children
No Data