This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Cyber Security

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Hi, Anyone here have experience getting an email from unknown (SPAM folder). I use Yahoomail & received an email from a random person saying that they have hacked my email account & demanding money within 48 hours or else they will lock my device after 48 hours. Is there any way to prevent from the device being locked?
Parents
  • My experience is these are generally people trying to get you to confirm your details, so do not reply. The second stage if you do reply is that you get a further email, which if you do open it may take control of your pc.

I would suggest that you change your email password and if on Windows change your Microsoft password. Make the password a minimum of 10 characters.

Check your email address via haveibeenpawnd.com

Block the sender but beware because the second email usually comes from a different email address you need to keep an eye out.

Finally back up your pc and make a boot disk.

Also some scammers are loading Linux and partitioning the disk drive. They then change the boot sequence and take control from the Linux partition. Once they have done this they delete the Windows admin accounts. Hence why you need a backup and boot disk.

Hope this helps.
  • My experience is these are generally people trying to get you to confirm your details, so do not reply. The second stage if you do reply is that you get a further email, which if you do open it may take control of your pc.

I would suggest that you change your email password and if on Windows change your Microsoft password. Make the password a minimum of 10 characters.

Check your email address via haveibeenpawnd.com

Block the sender but beware because the second email usually comes from a different email address you need to keep an eye out.

Finally back up your pc and make a boot disk.

Also some scammers are loading Linux and partitioning the disk drive. They then change the boot sequence and take control from the Linux partition. Once they have done this they delete the Windows admin accounts. Hence why you need a backup and boot disk.

Hope this helps.
Children
No Data