This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Are high heels "necessary and appropriate" in a workplace?

On Monday a group of women submitted a petition to the Japanese government to protest against what they say is a de facto requirement for female staff to wear high heels at work. The #KuToo campaign – a play on words from the Japanese kutsu, meaning shoes, and kutsuu, meaning pain – was launched by the actor and freelance writer Yumi Ishikawa and quickly won support online. In the petition, Ishikawa states that high heels can cause women a number of health issues, and had become a burden to her employment, stating "I hope this campaign will change the social norm so that it won't be considered to be bad manners when women wear flat shoes like men," Ishikawa told the BBC. Campaigners have said wearing high heels was considered to be near-obligatory when job hunting or working at many Japanese companies, and said the requirement of wearing high heeled shoes is akin to modern foot-binding.

Ishikawa told reporters: “Today we submitted a petition calling for the introduction of laws banning employers from forcing women to wear heels as sexual discrimination or harassment.”

On Wednesday, Japan’s health and labour minister, Takumi Nemoto, when asked to comment on the petition, defended workplaces that require women to wear high heels to work, arguing “It is socially accepted as something that falls within the realm of being occupationally necessary and appropriate”.

One commentator on the JapanToday website asked, “Why is it necessary? Heels are incredibly painful and serve no function whatsoever. Why can’t women just work without having to be some sort of eye-candy for someone else?” Others suggested that the minister should be required to wear high heels for a week to see if he enjoyed the experience (an option which I am sure would quickly result in a change in the law!)

A similar petition against high heels at work was signed by more than 150,000 people in the UK in 2016 after receptionist Nicola Thorp was sent home from work for wearing flat shoes (refusing to wear 2-4in heels). Thorp's case prompted an inquiry on workplace dress codes by a committee of MPs, which highlighted other cases in the UK where women were required to wear heels, even for jobs that included climbing ladders, carrying heavy luggage, carrying food and drink up and down stairs or walking long distances. The UK Government refused to change the law, claiming scope for redress already existed under the Equality Act 2010.

What strikes me as absolutely crazy is that this is an issue at all. In 2019, why are grown women considered seemingly incapable of making their own decisions about what they put on their feet in the morning?!

An article by Yamini Pustake Bhalerao I came across summarises this perfectly: "Many women love to wear high heels and for various reasons. Some wear it to add height to their stature. Others wear it because it makes them look sexy, while many think it adds a certain dimension to their personality. Then there are few, like me, who see high heels as the worst thing one could do to their feet. But the most important aspect, as it is with any accessory, is the agency to make a choice. We all choose or choose not to wear heels. When you remove this choice from the equation, high heels get reduced to yet another method to sexualise or objectify women. Foot fetish makes many men see women wearing heels as attractive. They are automatically perceived to be sexy, sharp and “presentable.” This, however, has nothing to do with their capabilities as a professional. Wearing high heels doesn’t make you a better doctor, engineer, lawyer or corporate woman. Thus, it makes no sense to make it compulsory for working women to wear it to work."

Read more at: 
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/05/high-heels-at-work-are-necessary-says-japan-labour-minister
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/06/06/japans-labour-minister-mocked-saying-high-heels-necessary-reasonable/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48534453
https://www.shethepeople.tv/blog/kutoo-movement-why-women-in-japan-want-to-get-rid-of-high-heels

Parents
  • I completely agree with the need for a 'Dress Code' in a working environment and I agree that footwear should be 'appropriate' for the environment i.e. no flip flops or open toed sandals if you're working in an environment where you need to protect your feet or be smartly dressed in a customer facing role. However, as I've said before, I find it really difficult to comprehend why the height of someones heels needs to be a factor in that? 

I couldn't tell you which of the female colleagues I've come into contact with today were wearing heels or not as it's not something that I particularly paid attention to! In fact I don't think I could even tell you what they were wearing as my attention is more on the work we're doing than their chosen attire for the day. 

However, I notice in the media over the last few days the obsession with the outfits that the Queen, the Duchess of Cambridge and the First Lady had chosen for the President's visit. Not one mention of what the men were wearing though...
  • I completely agree with the need for a 'Dress Code' in a working environment and I agree that footwear should be 'appropriate' for the environment i.e. no flip flops or open toed sandals if you're working in an environment where you need to protect your feet or be smartly dressed in a customer facing role. However, as I've said before, I find it really difficult to comprehend why the height of someones heels needs to be a factor in that? 

I couldn't tell you which of the female colleagues I've come into contact with today were wearing heels or not as it's not something that I particularly paid attention to! In fact I don't think I could even tell you what they were wearing as my attention is more on the work we're doing than their chosen attire for the day. 

However, I notice in the media over the last few days the obsession with the outfits that the Queen, the Duchess of Cambridge and the First Lady had chosen for the President's visit. Not one mention of what the men were wearing though...
Children
No Data