This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Does the IET have a policy/guidelines on neurodiversity?

I, probably in common with a lot of engineers and scientist, am somewhere along the Autistic/Asperger’s spectrum. The original form homepage, a simple list of topics with a flag noting any new activity was perfect. The forum that has just been replaced was harder but there was still a logical structure of topics and updates so I could manage.

I find the latest forum version to be stressful and confusing and in my attempts to understand it I came across a similar view from Andy Millar:

‘Just for interest, I've come on here a few times since Friday, and I still find the new site pretty (i.e. completely) baffling as to where anything is. But I also suspect I'm not the target demographic, I long ago noticed an age divide between those of us who were brought up with traditional filing structures, and those who were brought up with - I don't know the correct term - more intuitive, free form, web approaches to finding information. It'll be interesting to see what happens, I assume the aim is to try to encourage more technical discussions (beyond the wiring and regs part which always seems to have been successful). It will be really good if that works, hope it does.’

I wonder if his problem is generational, I think he is in my age group, or neurotype like for me. The current forum format seems to have been produced by ‘arty/creative’ people for other ‘arty/creative’ people and my not be accessible to the target audience (or what I assume is the target audience) or engineers and scientists who prefer a more structured system.

The IET must have guidelines and rules for non-discrimination in other areas, sex, race, disability, etc. Is neurotype included?

PS

The structrure for trying to enter a post is also not pleasant to use Frowning2

Parents
  • Hi Roger:

You may find this page helpful: https://engx.theiet.org/f

Here you can see all discussions (i.e. including those posted in the Wiring Regulations forum), ordered by date/time of the most recent post. You can then choose to filter these by technical interest, using the dropdown list in the left-hand column:

The previous site required users to navigate to specific forums or groups to find relevant content, whereas the new site is designed to show you content based on your selected interests (chosen from a pre-defined list of topics), and to make it easier (we hope) to connect with others with similar questions or concerns. You can update your interests at any time via your profile.

The "Engineering Discussions" forum at  https://engx.theiet.org/f/discussions  includes discussions other than those related to the Wiring Regulations, and the default view here is filtered by your chosen interests when you are logged in. You can opt to see everything by selecting "View all discussions".

Content displayed on the site homepage is also filtered in the same way, so by default you will be shown content relating to your interests (but here again you can opt to see everything).

We are certainly keen to make our websites as easy to use as possible, for all users. Any further feedback you can offer (e.g. in relation to your experience of adding a new post) will be helpful.

• Hi Roger:

You may find this page helpful: https://engx.theiet.org/f

Here you can see all discussions (i.e. including those posted in the Wiring Regulations forum), ordered by date/time of the most recent post. You can then choose to filter these by technical interest, using the dropdown list in the left-hand column:

The previous site required users to navigate to specific forums or groups to find relevant content, whereas the new site is designed to show you content based on your selected interests (chosen from a pre-defined list of topics), and to make it easier (we hope) to connect with others with similar questions or concerns. You can update your interests at any time via your profile.

The "Engineering Discussions" forum at  https://engx.theiet.org/f/discussions  includes discussions other than those related to the Wiring Regulations, and the default view here is filtered by your chosen interests when you are logged in. You can opt to see everything by selecting "View all discussions".

Content displayed on the site homepage is also filtered in the same way, so by default you will be shown content relating to your interests (but here again you can opt to see everything).

We are certainly keen to make our websites as easy to use as possible, for all users. Any further feedback you can offer (e.g. in relation to your experience of adding a new post) will be helpful.

Children
No Data