This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Does the IET have a policy/guidelines on neurodiversity?

I, probably in common with a lot of engineers and scientist, am somewhere along the Autistic/Asperger’s spectrum. The original form homepage, a simple list of topics with a flag noting any new activity was perfect. The forum that has just been replaced was harder but there was still a logical structure of topics and updates so I could manage.

I find the latest forum version to be stressful and confusing and in my attempts to understand it I came across a similar view from Andy Millar:

‘Just for interest, I've come on here a few times since Friday, and I still find the new site pretty (i.e. completely) baffling as to where anything is. But I also suspect I'm not the target demographic, I long ago noticed an age divide between those of us who were brought up with traditional filing structures, and those who were brought up with - I don't know the correct term - more intuitive, free form, web approaches to finding information. It'll be interesting to see what happens, I assume the aim is to try to encourage more technical discussions (beyond the wiring and regs part which always seems to have been successful). It will be really good if that works, hope it does.’

I wonder if his problem is generational, I think he is in my age group, or neurotype like for me. The current forum format seems to have been produced by ‘arty/creative’ people for other ‘arty/creative’ people and my not be accessible to the target audience (or what I assume is the target audience) or engineers and scientists who prefer a more structured system.

The IET must have guidelines and rules for non-discrimination in other areas, sex, race, disability, etc. Is neurotype included?

PS

The structrure for trying to enter a post is also not pleasant to use Frowning2

Parents
  • Thanks all for your responses. There is certainly scope for improvement, both in relation to contrast issues and calls to action in the forums. 

The "Ask a question..." form is intended to enable users to identify posts on similar topics, before starting a new thread: is this helpful? Or would a more straightforward presentation (as on the site homepage) be preferable? 

Selection of technical topic(s)/tags is optional, and we're aware that the interface isn't optimal; currently we're only able to present an alphabetical list, with typeahead matching (i.e. start typing into the field to see a list of matching terms). The list of topics, and your current selections, can be viewed at engx.theiet.org/.../tags when logged in.

• How does the software decide which 'tags' to apply to a specific post ? Is  it searching for keywords in just the thread titles or content, or both or what ? It seems to miss an awful lot - searching for RF for example turns up a load of stuff from 3 years ago, but none of the more recent stuff.

Also quickly it looks as if it may be that being in one category precludes being in another, but that may be just a few I have looked at, though if true it is not so useful... for now I think 'all' is the most useful category, though even so it only finds about 7000 threads, which seems a very low number given the history of the site.

Mike.

• How does the software decide which 'tags' to apply to a specific post ?

Tags are manually applied by the poster when they make their post - there isn't any forum logic applied.

For content that was migrated we had to make some assumptions based on where content was initially posted, for example content from a technical network was mapped to the primary tag for the network, the professional development forum category etc. You'll see a lot of content tagged with 'general chat' that could have other tags. It's a task that we could carry out if it's something that'll add value to the community. 

• How does the software decide which 'tags' to apply to a specific post ?

Tags are manually applied by the poster when they make their post - there isn't any forum logic applied.

For content that was migrated we had to make some assumptions based on where content was initially posted, for example content from a technical network was mapped to the primary tag for the network, the professional development forum category etc. You'll see a lot of content tagged with 'general chat' that could have other tags. It's a task that we could carry out if it's something that'll add value to the community. 

Children
No Data