This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Solar Energy

Can we say the size of the Solar panel is one of the limitations in a solar practical experiment? For instance size or number of solar panels matters in real time installation, I believe 24 volts solar panel will charge 24 Volts battery in real time depending on the solar intensity, and I know that 48 Volts Solar panel (connected in series) will charge the 24 volts Battery faster than 24 Volts solar panel. Kindly share your thought on this.

Cheers.

Parents
  • My 12 volt solar panel charges the 12 volt battery uo to 14.5 volts but if I disconnect the panel its output voltage goes up to 21 volts when the sun is shining on it.  I fitted a regulator but it failed after a time so had to go back to direct charging. 

If you can use the batteries charge every few weeks to run emergency lighting that would be ideal as overcharging the battery for extremely long periods will lead to loss of electrolyte although in my case that was over 4 years.

• My 12 volt solar panel charges the 12 volt battery uo to 14.5 volts but if I disconnect the panel its output voltage goes up to 21 volts when the sun is shining on it.  I fitted a regulator but it failed after a time so had to go back to direct charging. 

If you can use the batteries charge every few weeks to run emergency lighting that would be ideal as overcharging the battery for extremely long periods will lead to loss of electrolyte although in my case that was over 4 years.

Children
  • The regulator failed? Did it hit an overvoltage condition or something? They're usually pretty reliable. 

Maybe use an SSR instead and control the output with a range? i.e. have a microcontroller look at the output from the panel and if it's within 10% of what you're looking for then switch the SSR, otherwise leave the output disconnected?