This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Tesla PowerWall 2 earthing rod installation

I recently decided to upgrade my existing PV solar installation by adding a second PV solar array and a Tesla PowerWall 2 + Gateway. The PowerWall was installed in the integral garage, and while the installer was drilling a hole for a 4ft earthing rod for the PowerWall in front of the house (between the garage door and the front door), they drilled into the gas supply pipe causing a gas leak. I phoned the gas emergency number, and fortunately a gas emergency team arrived quickly and repaired the supply pipe.

The gas emergency team recommended installing the earthing rod at the side of the property, away from likely routes of pipes and cables, and I have asked the installer to do this, and to use a CAT cable and pipe locator before drilling again. However, the installer is reluctant to do this, and has proposed drilling in front of the house again, on the basis that the gas supply has been diverted, The gas supply pipe still runs within 1ft of the front of the property, so I am very concerned about the potential risks of this approach (i.e. risk of either hitting gas supply pipe or water supply pipe).

So, I wanted to ask community members if there is any IET guidance or Code of Practice for installation of earthing rods, and if any community members have any experience/recommendations in relation to installation and whether use of CAT cable and pipe locator would significantly reduce risk of hitting pipes and cables?  

Parents Reply Children
No Data