This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Electric bus fire - This seems to be common occurance.

With EV expanding rapidly I'd expect to see more and more failures over the coming years.

Like to know the causes. Charger or battery  fault or the electrical installation.

As and when I'm forced into an EV I'd be worried about the possibility of a fire. Might even keep me up at night.

Parents
  • But driving around in vehicles with petrol tanks is perfectly safe?  There's more energy in a tank of petrol than in a typical EV battery.

• Indeed, but buses do not run on petrol.I suspect if we invented petrol cars today and went to design review it would never clear the safety hurdles, fuel in single skin tanks speeding along inches from the road,  whirling belts, exposed wheels,  sparks, hot exhaust pipes,  and  that is before we reach the cause of most problems, the nut behind the wheel.

There is more or less the same energy in a mars bar and a stick of dynamite, but the latter requires more care, as the energy can all be released quite rapidly in a small volume.

there is scope for a similar problem here, it just needs a century of product refinement.

Mike.

• Indeed, but buses do not run on petrol.I suspect if we invented petrol cars today and went to design review it would never clear the safety hurdles, fuel in single skin tanks speeding along inches from the road,  whirling belts, exposed wheels,  sparks, hot exhaust pipes,  and  that is before we reach the cause of most problems, the nut behind the wheel.

There is more or less the same energy in a mars bar and a stick of dynamite, but the latter requires more care, as the energy can all be released quite rapidly in a small volume.

there is scope for a similar problem here, it just needs a century of product refinement.

Mike.

Children
No Data