This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Tenders Invited for the Installation of Channel Ferry Charging Points.

www.thetimes.co.uk/.../cross-channel-ferries-will-go-electric-say-operators-p862kvm8d

Z.

Parents
  • A cross channel feryy needs a lot of power

From this website

Spirit of Britain propulsion

The main engines include four MAN 7L48/60CR diesel mechanical engines, each producing 7,600kW. The ferry is fitted with two Alpha type controllable pitch propellers.

Enhanced manoeuvrability is achieved by three Wärtsilä CT300M bow thrusters. Each of these has a power output of 3,000kW. The vessel also has four MAN 7L21/31 auxiliary engines, each with a capacity to produce 1,424kW at 1,000rpm.

Now I make that knocking on  30MW even allowing for not all on at once, and a one way crossing time of about an hour. Suggest at least 60MW hour of battery to get out and back.  That is about 1000 times the battery capacity of a modern EV.

I think you will need a considerably bigger charger. For a 1 hour turnaround,  even at 11kV it is almost 1500 amps per phase. That is one heck of a plug to dangle over the quayside.

Mike.

• A cross channel feryy needs a lot of power

From this website

Spirit of Britain propulsion

The main engines include four MAN 7L48/60CR diesel mechanical engines, each producing 7,600kW. The ferry is fitted with two Alpha type controllable pitch propellers.

Enhanced manoeuvrability is achieved by three Wärtsilä CT300M bow thrusters. Each of these has a power output of 3,000kW. The vessel also has four MAN 7L21/31 auxiliary engines, each with a capacity to produce 1,424kW at 1,000rpm.

Now I make that knocking on  30MW even allowing for not all on at once, and a one way crossing time of about an hour. Suggest at least 60MW hour of battery to get out and back.  That is about 1000 times the battery capacity of a modern EV.

I think you will need a considerably bigger charger. For a 1 hour turnaround,  even at 11kV it is almost 1500 amps per phase. That is one heck of a plug to dangle over the quayside.

Mike.

Children
No Data