This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Electric Vehicle used as a Battery Bank.

"Cor dad, look at wot this lady is doing........."

"Can we do that with our electric start lawn mower?"

‘I cut my energy bills in half by using my electric car as a giant battery to store cheap power’ (msn.com)

Z.

Parents
  • The sums look more favourable if you're less pessimistic on the figures used.  Octopus Go is still available at 7.5p/kWh, for 4 hours of overnight charging, or about 28kWh.

On a modern car, 25kWh may only be about half a charge.  So it's not using a full charge cycle every day.  There is no way the battery would need replacing after only 2000 cycles if the charging/discharging is managed properly.  The solar battery in my loft has a 10 year warranty*, and is cycled every day, so that's 3600 cycles.

*Or would have if the installer had bothered to register it.

• The sums look more favourable if you're less pessimistic on the figures used.  Octopus Go is still available at 7.5p/kWh, for 4 hours of overnight charging, or about 28kWh.

On a modern car, 25kWh may only be about half a charge.  So it's not using a full charge cycle every day.  There is no way the battery would need replacing after only 2000 cycles if the charging/discharging is managed properly.  The solar battery in my loft has a 10 year warranty*, and is cycled every day, so that's 3600 cycles.

*Or would have if the installer had bothered to register it.

Children
No Data