This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

11kV Overheads and Water Spray.

You a are farmer. You have potato fields that need watering due to the lack of rain and the hot weather. You tow your water sprayer trailer out to the potato field and connect up the pipes. The water can be mains or deep bore hole sourced. The spray is very high pressure and reaches a great height. In fact it reached the 11kV overhead cables that run across your field.

Is there any danger?

Here is a static system, but yours is mobile on a tyred trailer. It does though show the height of the sprays.

Large Lawn Field Irrigation System - Bing video

Parents
  • I doubt that the danger is significant for two reasons. Firstly the water is in a spray with air gaps between each drop, no worse than heavy rain in say a thunderstorm. Most people do not worry about walking under 11kv lines in a thunderstorm.

Secondly, the equipment is widely used and serious accidents due to overhead lines are rare.

Greater hazards are from the often improvised electrical supply to any electric water pump. Permanent pumps should be properly installed and portable water pumps are better engine driven rather than electric. The other risk is carrying around the rigid water pipes used in some systems, and these contacting overhead lines.

If I was operating such equipment I would be careful, and in particular if the water spray was touching overhead lines, I would not touch or very closely approach any metal trailer upon which the equipment was mounted. Turn the water off remotely, THEN move or adjust the equipment, move clear and turn the water back on.

• Some of those high pressure water jets can be very powerful and travel almost continuously up to the overhead H.V. lines.

High pressure Water Spray on Field || Super Agriculture Technology in India - Bing video

Z.

Reply Children
No Data