This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Capacitor replacement advice

Hi,

I am trying to source a replacement capacitor but am a little unsure what will be correct as a replacement. Usually with capacitors I would always swap like for like to remove any possible issues. Unfortunately I can't seem to source the faulty one which is a facon 21uf 330v  -0%+20%. I've tried several suppliers but seems they don't want to say what would work as a replacement, you'd think if they're supplying them they'd be able to advise the best option when swapping.

Ive read online that the voltage is not an issue so long as you go higher than the one you are swapping i.e 450v instead of 330v. Obviously the uf rating has to be the same, or as close being slightly over I believe?

My main issue is with regards the tolerances and whether they need to be withing a certain parameter when swapping. I've seen one from a supplier which is 21-25uf 330v but doesn't say what tolerance is. Would this be a good swap or would I be better going for a universal one 22uf 450v +-5%?

Size is not an issue as it is from a refrigeration unit so plenty of space to fit it in and it is running the compressor along with another 25uf capacitor.

I've attached an image of the one I'm looking to change which is faulty.

Ay advice would be greatly appreciated and also if anyone knows anywhere that has some good information on this kind of thing for future, that would also be great.

Thanks.

Parents
  • I've tried several suppliers but seems they don't want to say what would work as a replacement, you'd think if they're supplying them they'd be able to advise the best option when swapping.

No I wouldn't think that at all - they're experts in stock control and pricing, they're not engineers. The capacitor manufacturer themselves may have application experts - or they may well design them to specs passed to them from equipment suppliers. Even if they do have such staff in house that's going to be several layers of people away from the sales end, and they're unlikely to see it as worth passing a request for one capacitor through the chain - the time spent passing the message on alone would quickly wipe out the profit from the sale.

I'm very wary of taking advice from a sales / distribution company on alternative replacements, they may know what they are talking about, or they may be just trying to make a sale (to be fair, most will be honest and say that they can't guarantee that replacements will work). Of course if it's a company that is also experienced in carrying out repair work, and guarantees its own repairs, that's different, they might well know what works as an alternative. 

Fortunately we have Mike here with a fantastic answer!!!!

• Yes I know what you mean with regards to sending it to someone in their technical department etc but I've found even when you speak to one of their tech guys they still seem very reluctant to offer advice. I just find it strange that they sell a product but don't really seem to offer any real guidance. And yes fortunately there are sites like this and people like Mike that can help out with their knowledge, it's very much appreciated.

• Yes I know what you mean with regards to sending it to someone in their technical department etc but I've found even when you speak to one of their tech guys they still seem very reluctant to offer advice. I just find it strange that they sell a product but don't really seem to offer any real guidance. And yes fortunately there are sites like this and people like Mike that can help out with their knowledge, it's very much appreciated.

Children
No Data