This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Capacitor replacement advice

Hi,

I am trying to source a replacement capacitor but am a little unsure what will be correct as a replacement. Usually with capacitors I would always swap like for like to remove any possible issues. Unfortunately I can't seem to source the faulty one which is a facon 21uf 330v  -0%+20%. I've tried several suppliers but seems they don't want to say what would work as a replacement, you'd think if they're supplying them they'd be able to advise the best option when swapping.

Ive read online that the voltage is not an issue so long as you go higher than the one you are swapping i.e 450v instead of 330v. Obviously the uf rating has to be the same, or as close being slightly over I believe?

My main issue is with regards the tolerances and whether they need to be withing a certain parameter when swapping. I've seen one from a supplier which is 21-25uf 330v but doesn't say what tolerance is. Would this be a good swap or would I be better going for a universal one 22uf 450v +-5%?

Size is not an issue as it is from a refrigeration unit so plenty of space to fit it in and it is running the compressor along with another 25uf capacitor.

I've attached an image of the one I'm looking to change which is faulty.

Ay advice would be greatly appreciated and also if anyone knows anywhere that has some good information on this kind of thing for future, that would also be great.

Thanks.

Parents
  • OK I;ll try again. The facom 04P type cap you have there is an electrolytic starter capacitor

data - though your  exact type is not shown, I assume discontinued.

- think of it as two electrolytic back to back . It is not suited to continuous duty as the loss tangent /power factor is awful (~ 10% typical) so they heat up and go bang if they are not allowed to cool between starts.
    But they are smaller and lighter than a 'normal' capacitor of the same rating. A run capacitor is designed for continuous use, so if it fits physically and is the right value,  you can use  a run capacitor as a start but not the other way about.

In general a slightly larger start cap does no harm just a bit more torque on pull-in, say 25uf in place of 20, but  too small and there is a risk  the motor will sit and buzz but not spin.

Compare

motorstart data 

note poor power factor, low running temp, short life

with the data for a good motor run/ 100% duty device 

motor run data

see how over voltage and temperature shorten life and under running improves it. ( Dubilier are a 1st tier maker and their data is more honest than some, though all capacitors are similar really in those regards) - so getting the higher voltage one than the minimum you need does no harm, and is actually a good idea. - except  it takes up more space, and costs more. (though that saving may be lost in the postage and labour costs).

If you get totally stuck electronics places like mouser have a no of suitable objects. beware postage though, but there are plenty of others.

Hope this helps and I do not need to type again.

Mike,

• OK I;ll try again. The facom 04P type cap you have there is an electrolytic starter capacitor

data - though your  exact type is not shown, I assume discontinued.

- think of it as two electrolytic back to back . It is not suited to continuous duty as the loss tangent /power factor is awful (~ 10% typical) so they heat up and go bang if they are not allowed to cool between starts.
    But they are smaller and lighter than a 'normal' capacitor of the same rating. A run capacitor is designed for continuous use, so if it fits physically and is the right value,  you can use  a run capacitor as a start but not the other way about.

In general a slightly larger start cap does no harm just a bit more torque on pull-in, say 25uf in place of 20, but  too small and there is a risk  the motor will sit and buzz but not spin.

Compare

motorstart data 

note poor power factor, low running temp, short life

with the data for a good motor run/ 100% duty device 

motor run data

see how over voltage and temperature shorten life and under running improves it. ( Dubilier are a 1st tier maker and their data is more honest than some, though all capacitors are similar really in those regards) - so getting the higher voltage one than the minimum you need does no harm, and is actually a good idea. - except  it takes up more space, and costs more. (though that saving may be lost in the postage and labour costs).

If you get totally stuck electronics places like mouser have a no of suitable objects. beware postage though, but there are plenty of others.

Hope this helps and I do not need to type again.

Mike,

Children
No Data