This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Capacitor replacement advice

Hi,

I am trying to source a replacement capacitor but am a little unsure what will be correct as a replacement. Usually with capacitors I would always swap like for like to remove any possible issues. Unfortunately I can't seem to source the faulty one which is a facon 21uf 330v  -0%+20%. I've tried several suppliers but seems they don't want to say what would work as a replacement, you'd think if they're supplying them they'd be able to advise the best option when swapping.

Ive read online that the voltage is not an issue so long as you go higher than the one you are swapping i.e 450v instead of 330v. Obviously the uf rating has to be the same, or as close being slightly over I believe?

My main issue is with regards the tolerances and whether they need to be withing a certain parameter when swapping. I've seen one from a supplier which is 21-25uf 330v but doesn't say what tolerance is. Would this be a good swap or would I be better going for a universal one 22uf 450v +-5%?

Size is not an issue as it is from a refrigeration unit so plenty of space to fit it in and it is running the compressor along with another 25uf capacitor.

I've attached an image of the one I'm looking to change which is faulty.

Ay advice would be greatly appreciated and also if anyone knows anywhere that has some good information on this kind of thing for future, that would also be great.

Thanks.

Parents
  • OK the PSU2130 2130 A is very similar to the original.

An aside, but do you know why the original failed ? (how it failed may tell you - has the blow out vent blown out ? If so it boiled, perhaps a protracted start )

I'm looking at the 2021 manufacturing year and wondering if something happened or if the original designer was a bit hopeful.  It might fail the same way again if the design is under powered.

Mike.

• OK the PSU2130 2130 A is very similar to the original.

An aside, but do you know why the original failed ? (how it failed may tell you - has the blow out vent blown out ? If so it boiled, perhaps a protracted start )

I'm looking at the 2021 manufacturing year and wondering if something happened or if the original designer was a bit hopeful.  It might fail the same way again if the design is under powered.

Mike.

Children
  • I'm not 100% certain but my best guess is that the fan motor failed to start and this has caused the compressor to over heat putting more strain on the start and run capacitors as both have failed. I did get the system to run, I just gave the fan a push start and everything else seems to work fine. Although I think it may have been a fluke that the compressor managed to start first time. I don't know exactly how long the fans not been running as it could've been playing up for a while. The facon one isn't blown out but is definitely warped in shape, looks to have gotten very hot. It doesn't give out a reading when tested, the run capacitor does but it's at about half what it should be. My wholesalers keep the other ones on the shelf so they are easy to get hold of, the facon one is the awkward one to source. I have come across these before on the same systems, never had as much trouble sourcing the replacement until recently. I have noticed over the last few years the 330v versions have been hard to source....although I didn't know about the mouser website until this weekend. Because theyve been relatively easy to source I've always swapped them like for like and it's always been fine. My knowledge of capacitors is fairly limited so was abit concerned about swapping it for something that's wasn't the same, hence why I was after some advice.