This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Largest storage heater - grid scale energy storage in hot sand...

heating energy storage,  renewable intermittant

lots of sand and lots of heat  touted as an infill for intermittent renewables, not perhaps in the news like using hi tech electronics and flashing lights or sexy chemistry, but has the huge advantage of just working, and being easily and cheaply scaled to anywhere with space.

Reads to me like a twist on the old economy 7 idea, probably more use distributed near where heat is needed than as  a battery at a power station.

Makes an alternative to oil tanks and propane tanks, though rather fewer joules per cubic metre, even at 1000C.

(a typical house propane tank is 1200 litres, or 600kg and each kg is ~ 50 megajoules)
(hot sand is 1.5 litres per kg and ~ 1kJ per kilo per degree  about 1/4 that of water, but that boils.... )

so at 1000C about 1/50 the energy density of LPG.

Mike

Parents
  • Interestingly, it's not without safety concerns ... for example, at this temperature, an awful lot of stuff can spontaneously combust.

However, I think that just goes with the territory whenever we concentrate a store of energy - at least spontaneous explosion, chemical hazards, environmental contamination, etc., aren't an issue.

Overall, I like the thought of this technology.

• Interestingly, it's not without safety concerns ... for example, at this temperature, an awful lot of stuff can spontaneously combust.

However, I think that just goes with the territory whenever we concentrate a store of energy - at least spontaneous explosion, chemical hazards, environmental contamination, etc., aren't an issue.

Overall, I like the thought of this technology.

Children
No Data