This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Are satellites the future of espionage or just a flash in the pan?

Britain is boosting its spying capability from space with new cutting-edge satellites. Two 9kg satellites known as Cubesats are going to be launched from Cornwall this summer and will help Britain carry out surveillance independently. The launch would be the first-time satellites have been sent to space from our country.

The UK has had to rely on the US Department of defence for high quality satellite photos of battlefields, most recently for the conflict on Ukraine. The satellites will allow the UK to accumulate imagery and electronic intelligence. They will give the Ministry of Defence (MoD) the chance to monitor Earth around 340 miles above the planet and its oceans.

The UK’s Defence Procurement Minister, Jeremy Quin stated:

“This collaboration with In-Space Missions and Airbus paves the way for the UK to become a more resilient, more robust and more significant global space entity”.

So, do you think satellites are the future of espionage or are they just a flash in the pan?

If you are interested in satellites or work within the industry, you may be interested in our Satellite Communications Systems Course in September.

To find out more please visit: https://satcoms.theiet.org/

Parents
  • They aren't just the future.  They are already being widely used.  We're a bit behind if we have been relying on other people's satellites up to now.

In the run up to the war in Ukraine, the USA were giving regular updates to the World, describing exactly what the Russians were doing.

• They aren't just the future.  They are already being widely used.  We're a bit behind if we have been relying on other people's satellites up to now.

In the run up to the war in Ukraine, the USA were giving regular updates to the World, describing exactly what the Russians were doing.

Children
  • In fact since around 1962 (so conveniently we could say a 60th anniversary to make it a news story): "From 1962 to 1972, several versions of the KH-4 satellite were developed..." https://www.spacelegalissues.com/the-history-of-spy-satellites/

We're a bit behind if we have been relying on other people's satellites up to now.

Or, just to look at it the other way, we've been sensible and not cluttered up the atmosphere with more space junk (and related CO2 emissions) when there's perfectly good satellites up there already!

Ok, as my wife keeps telling me, I know I "should" be supporting the Cornish economy, using corner shops, buying free range eggs from local farmers, only gaining intelligence on counter insurgents from satellites launched from local spaceports - and indeed presumably tracked from our local Cornish tracking station...oh no, I'm now imagining a conspiracy connected to Mebyon Kernow taking control of spy satellites to finally achieve Cornish Independence!

Sorry, drifted off topic again...

• our local Cornish tracking station

Actually that prompted me to look up the history of GCHQ Bude https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCHQ_Bude which became active in 1969, so presumably likely to be the point at which we tried intercepting other countries spy satellites? (As well as receiving from our own.)  I hadn't realised that it was a joint US/UK development at the time.