This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Red alerts for much of UK.

Met office red alert for extreme heat has been issued for London and for parts of the Midlands. This is the first ever met office red warning for heat.

Government red warnings for heat health alert now cover all of England. I think that this may be the first such alert, it is undoubtedly the first ever to affect all of England.

Are significant consequences expected for electricity generation and distribution ?

Parents
  • I do wonder whether the assumed ambient outside air and soil temperatures used in the UK for cable selection (either by default in BS7671, or specified in BS IEC 60287-3-1) are due a review.

For sure 40°C mightn't happen every Summer (I hope), not all loads will be at full load for sufficient duration in Summer to be bothered, and no, things don't suddenly burst into flames 0.1K over 70/90°C... but we've exceeded 30°C quite a few times already this year, some loads (e.g. HVAC) are at max in these conditions and not everyone takes account of solar radiation either, so I do wonder if operating lives have been unduly reduced.

• I do wonder whether the assumed ambient outside air and soil temperatures used in the UK for cable selection (either by default in BS7671, or specified in BS IEC 60287-3-1) are due a review.

For sure 40°C mightn't happen every Summer (I hope), not all loads will be at full load for sufficient duration in Summer to be bothered, and no, things don't suddenly burst into flames 0.1K over 70/90°C... but we've exceeded 30°C quite a few times already this year, some loads (e.g. HVAC) are at max in these conditions and not everyone takes account of solar radiation either, so I do wonder if operating lives have been unduly reduced.

Children
No Data