This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Red alerts for much of UK.

Met office red alert for extreme heat has been issued for London and for parts of the Midlands. This is the first ever met office red warning for heat.

Government red warnings for heat health alert now cover all of England. I think that this may be the first such alert, it is undoubtedly the first ever to affect all of England.

Are significant consequences expected for electricity generation and distribution ?

Parents
  • Despite some failures, it seems that electricity transmission and distribution generally held up very well. 

Very hot weather increases the load as compared to mild or warm weather, but even the peak load on the hottest ever day was less than that prevailing in winter weather.

That however is the position nationally, I suspect that in London that new records may have been set for load. AFAIK nothing major blew up  which is reassuring.

• Despite some failures, it seems that electricity transmission and distribution generally held up very well. 

Very hot weather increases the load as compared to mild or warm weather, but even the peak load on the hottest ever day was less than that prevailing in winter weather.

That however is the position nationally, I suspect that in London that new records may have been set for load. AFAIK nothing major blew up  which is reassuring.

Children
No Data