This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Red alerts for much of UK.

Met office red alert for extreme heat has been issued for London and for parts of the Midlands. This is the first ever met office red warning for heat.

Government red warnings for heat health alert now cover all of England. I think that this may be the first such alert, it is undoubtedly the first ever to affect all of England.

Are significant consequences expected for electricity generation and distribution ?

• mapj1: "there may be an element of over reacting in the UK" . When a substantial proportion of the population does not know how to deal with this kind of heat in their place of residence, then "getting the message out" requires grandiose gestures. France didn't react strongly in advance of and during the 2003 heatwave, and as a result suffered some 14,000 deaths due to the heat (some 30,000 across Europe as a whole). 

Brits are notorious (not just via Kipling and Coward) for going "out in the midday sun". Back in 1984, I hiked/ran the Grand Canyon South Rim to North Rim (round about 26 miles) in September. I encountered some young Brits on the trail with half-litre water bottles, convinced they didn't need more - after all, there was a place to refill. You actually need to ingest 1-2 litres/hour minimum in those conditions, depending on what you are doing. I had six litres of bottles with me. That is what I drunk per hour for the first two hours on the way down. 

35° heat here in Bielefeld is often uncomfortable, because it often comes with 60+% humidity. These last few days, we were at about 30%. I was even out riding my bicycle. Lower humidity is more comfortable, but it is however also more dangerous, because you don't notice how much water is evaporating from you. 

Most people I know don't have hygrometers in their houses, but they do know about humidity because you feel it. The good weather services show humidity along with temperature. 

• This report suggests that we only just away got away with it, rather worrying IMHO.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62296443

• Yes its been hot. 

The hottest recorded from an airfield with plenty of tarmac.

You have ask if these records are real

• It depends on what you mean by "real".  We have had airfields with weather stations on them since at least WWII, and some before that.

• The Urban Heat dome effect produces only best  guess temperatures. Its well known that poorly located temperature gauges are used.

• I would suggest that you read the Met Office's specification for weather stations (and the reasoning for it).

But it is patently true that microclimates might result in nearby locations having different temperatures. That doesn't mean the trend over many decades isn't relevant, nor that the variations are not well-understood by the clever people at the Met Office.

These are, after all, the stations used as part of the weather model for forecasting the accuracy of which has fairly substantial economic and security implications; one would expect that by now if it really was "well known" that the sites were problematic they would have been moved!

• https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/how-forecasts-are-made/observations/weather-stations

OK so 40km apart will give some spurious results so.e of which become headline news.

So from the little ice age we're warming nicely. And may get as warm as the medieval warm period. The trend over the past 2 decades is no warming.

• The iceland glaciers are melting back to where they were 3,000 years ago exposing a forest of trees.  7,000 year old tree roots in perfect frozen condition have also been found in Canada north of Vancover.  Could there have been global warming then and how or who was causing it????

• clintel.org/.../

• I’m sorry but the warming over the last decades is clear and caused by human burning of fossil fuels plus meat and dairy industry.  It is accepted as scientific consensus.

the climate and ecological emergency needs dealing with.

denial of the problem won’t make it go away