This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Entering the nuclear industry: Catch 22

Hi,

After getting through to the interview stage with EDF for a engineering job (obsolescence planning / outage etc.), I received an email saying I was strong technically, but...........

I am lacking in nuclear experience...........

How am I supposed to gain nuclear experience if I'm not currently in that sector?

I'm 49 and have always looked to working in the sector, especially after gaining my degree.

I have asked EDF about this in the past and all I get back is "keep looking at our careers portal"; not really advice.

With Sizewell B and shortly C on my doorstep, I'd like to get involved. But all I see is student routes to working there (all well and good, but we're not all 16-18).

Can anyone recommend courses or another approach to gaining nuclear experience?

Parents
  • I have had this before many times trying to move to a different sector.  I once applied for a power station went all through the process to be told we only set people on from other power stations???? total of 3 days holiday down the pot.

I would go on a HV Switching Course 11KV, then from their maybe do some High Voltage Protection courses with safety awareness. 

But on the other hand obsolescence planning etc its across lots of engineering sectors??

• I have had this before many times trying to move to a different sector.  I once applied for a power station went all through the process to be told we only set people on from other power stations???? total of 3 days holiday down the pot.

I would go on a HV Switching Course 11KV, then from their maybe do some High Voltage Protection courses with safety awareness. 

But on the other hand obsolescence planning etc its across lots of engineering sectors??

Children
No Data