This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What do you think - are renewables limitless energy or a precious resource?

Following the publication of the report ‘UK renewables – limitless energy or a precious resource?’ which examines the renewable energy sources available in the UK and gives a high level overview of the UK’s energy system transition to net-zero; the Energy Policy panel is looking to find out more from colleagues working in the energy sector.

We are seeking views of engineers in the energy sector on a range of issues, from timescales for net-zero, to the scale of transition, energy efficiency and skills.

If you would like to contribute to this timely debate on some of the key issues facing the energy sector ahead of its net-zero targets, please complete the survey here.

The survey will take place from 25th July to the 12th August and the findings will be published at the Renewable Power Generation conference, taking place at the end of September in London. During the conference, author of the report, Jeff Douglas, will be discussing the report and the outcome of the survey.

If you are interested in renewable energy and the transition to net-zero, we encourage you to read our other blogs and find out more about the work of the Energy Policy Panel at the IET.

Parents
  • As I said our apartment is heated from a district heating system burning waste wood from the local forestry operations. In theory other than increased costs for electricity for the pumps and diesel for the transport we should be protected from the increase in gas prices.

Unfortunately the free market isn't as benign as that. As soon as other energy sources become significantly more expensive than wood, the demand for wood will increase - initially by those who have spare capacity (e.g. a log burner or pellet boiler only used occasionally), longer term by others converting/replacing equipment to burn wood. The increase in demand and the competition for supply (the forest can't get significantly bigger in the foreseeable) will inevitably cause the wood price to rise (why should the guys in the forest sell to you at the old price when there are newcomers in the market willing to spend a fair bit more?).

It's the same for those on green electricity tariffs - if all their electricity comes from renewables then why have their unit prices gone up just as much as everyone else's? The answer of course is that owners of the generating equipment have the option to sell into the general market at the currently extortionate rates - so if the green supplies still want their output they have to match it.

- Andy.

• Did you know that people can collect twigs and small branches of trees off common ground although I think they need to register as a commoner somewhere.

During the heat wave we have just had I was concerned that all the fallen branches and twigs laying under fir trees on the common heath land next to us would catch fire so there is an urgent need in my case to collect this as it is a fire hazard to countryside housing.

• Did you know that people can collect twigs and small branches of trees off common ground although I think they need to register as a commoner somewhere.

During the heat wave we have just had I was concerned that all the fallen branches and twigs laying under fir trees on the common heath land next to us would catch fire so there is an urgent need in my case to collect this as it is a fire hazard to countryside housing.

Children
  • Did you know that people can collect twigs and small branches of trees off common ground

Not since 2008

after about 800 years of no issues you now need to negotiate with the forestry commission in your area.

My experience, for scouts and  firewood is that most owners of private woods are amenable to fallen dead wood removal for free, and the forestry commission do need to be warmed up to the idea months in advance, but if you get the right person are also very reasonable.

Mike