This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Off Peak is Good.

Oh yes it is.....

‘Huge savings' Slash your energy bills in half by switching to off-peak tariffs (msn.com)

Z.

Parents
  • Setting bits of kit up with a timer is not what I call smart. I thought the idea was to be able to decide YOUR priorities e.g. I need a minimum of 50% charge by 7am, whatever the cost. Or, I don't need the car tomorrow, charge as much as you can as long as the price is below 20p/unit etc. Smart scheduling will also soon be the only way of not blowing up your local substation (ok, maybe not blowing up, just blowing a fuse). If you can get your car or charger to co-operate with others now we're talking!

As pointed out elswhere, most folks don't have a clue about actual loads which is one of the reasons domestic "smart" meters have been pushed so hard (readout in money). They are not really smart yet either as most don't meter out as well as in.

I believe there are now smart car chargers out there that can do this, or nearly this, but integration with metering, other heavy loads and costs I doubt so mass adoption (and usefulness) is a long way off.

Full disclaimer, I don't yet have a smart meter at home but I can find out exactly how much I am pulling from the grid at any moment (right now 0.3kW, but it does depend on a different bit of kit).

• Setting bits of kit up with a timer is not what I call smart. I thought the idea was to be able to decide YOUR priorities e.g. I need a minimum of 50% charge by 7am, whatever the cost. Or, I don't need the car tomorrow, charge as much as you can as long as the price is below 20p/unit etc. Smart scheduling will also soon be the only way of not blowing up your local substation (ok, maybe not blowing up, just blowing a fuse). If you can get your car or charger to co-operate with others now we're talking!

As pointed out elswhere, most folks don't have a clue about actual loads which is one of the reasons domestic "smart" meters have been pushed so hard (readout in money). They are not really smart yet either as most don't meter out as well as in.

I believe there are now smart car chargers out there that can do this, or nearly this, but integration with metering, other heavy loads and costs I doubt so mass adoption (and usefulness) is a long way off.

Full disclaimer, I don't yet have a smart meter at home but I can find out exactly how much I am pulling from the grid at any moment (right now 0.3kW, but it does depend on a different bit of kit).

Children
No Data