This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Minimum Power Consumption Housing

Design Parameters 

We need a fully wall and window insulated draught proof house but without any radiators at all.

The roof could be covered in solar panels as a way of charging the batteries in case grid power is unreliable.

If needed, cooking and heating can be on wood burning or gas appliances in the main living room.

As there is no heating upstairs the beds will have DC electric blankets and woollen bed cloths will keep us snug.

Dish washing and washing machines will probably need to become manual tasks; keeping us fit and agile 

In that electricity is difficult to generate economically will lead in future, to power sharing rotas

and we may expect to get grid supply only 4 hours per day mostly at night to charge batteries and heat water..

Expected battery power consumption per day could typically be 

Electronic broadband and TV etc [0.5kWh], electric blankets[0.5kWh], lighting [0.5kWh], 

Fridge {1.0kWh], Microwave Oven [2.0kWh]

Parents
  • Agreed. I wear warm clothing in winter, sensible indoor winter clothing is in my view,

Wool socks with slippers or shoes.

Long trousers in thick warm material, or lightweight trousers and long underpants.

Long sleeved thick brushed cotton shirt with either a  vest under it or a wool jumper over it.

I also use warm bedding in winter. A sensible choice would be be

A padded mattress protector or a wool blanket under the brushed cotton bottom sheet.

A brushed cotton top sheet and three generously sized ALL WOOL blankets. At least one spare blanket.

Alternatively a well stuffed NATURAL FILLED duvet in a brushed cotton cover.

• Agreed. I wear warm clothing in winter, sensible indoor winter clothing is in my view,

Wool socks with slippers or shoes.

Long trousers in thick warm material, or lightweight trousers and long underpants.

Long sleeved thick brushed cotton shirt with either a  vest under it or a wool jumper over it.

I also use warm bedding in winter. A sensible choice would be be

A padded mattress protector or a wool blanket under the brushed cotton bottom sheet.

A brushed cotton top sheet and three generously sized ALL WOOL blankets. At least one spare blanket.

Alternatively a well stuffed NATURAL FILLED duvet in a brushed cotton cover.

Children
  • You mean that some people don't do that? Rolling eyes

Of course with traditional bedding one could adjust the number of blankets, but we have adjustable duvets: 4.5 and 9.0 tog and they button together to give 13.5 tog. And you forgot winter weight night attire including a hat.

If expeditionists can survive in the polar regions without heating, it should still be possible indoors in temperate climes.

• Highly recommend a brushed cotton duvet cover and sheets for use in the winter!  Hugging